What's new

stack and reach

fredstaple

Speeding Up
Nov 1, 2009
I have been trying to understand this concept, but I am having issues. Does anyone know any good links that explains it with photos on how to determine. Thanks

The money spent on a professional fit is well worth it. By all means learn as much as you can, but it is very easy to miss allot of important aspects and there are so many different opinions on the subject on the internet that oppose each other that you are best spent using your time finding the best possible fitter and trusting them to position you. If you take tidbits here and there from different places you just asking for injury.

Promechanic is spot on - you need to understand that if you change one aspect of the fit it has a casscading effect on every other aspect of ther fit move the saddle back 1mm and it will affect the reach, stack, seat post height etc.

I've been racing since I was about 6 years old and only last year had a professional fitting - I was close but the changes that were done had a huge impact on the wattage I was producing as well as the over all comfort of the ride.

Also one other point is that a fit is always a work in processes - you body will change and adapt to the fit - you'll lose weight or get injured and all these will result in small alterations to your fit, so even if you think you got it - you;ll change!

Cavendish is famous for having his fit altered every day to take in to account that you are taller in the morning than you are in the evening, so depending on the roll out time his fit will be different.

Then again, it could be that fredstaple is dialed in beautifully and simply wants a clearer understanding of the concept of stack and reach. What say you, Mr. Staple? :)

Then again, it could be that fredstaple is dialed in beautifully and simply wants a clearer understanding of the concept of stack and reach. What say you, Mr. Staple? :)

Very true sir!~:)

I've heard that Cav uses this to give him plenty of 'stack' adjustment:

soma_quillinator_onframe.jpg

And he uses this for the minute reach adjustments required.

stem_taylor.jpg

And here's his bike already prepped for the Giro mountain stages!

thorn.jpg

Obviously the Manx Missle's body height seems to chage radically during the day --

Evening?

parameter

Morning?

peta-toddova-mark-cavendish-52349.jpg

Promechanic is spot on - you need to understand that if you change one aspect of the fit it has a casscading effect on every other aspect of ther fit move the saddle back 1mm and it will affect the reach, stack, seat post height etc.

I've been racing since I was about 6 years old and only last year had a professional fitting - I was close but the changes that were done had a huge impact on the wattage I was producing as well as the over all comfort of the ride.

Also one other point is that a fit is always a work in processes - you body will change and adapt to the fit - you'll lose weight or get injured and all these will result in small alterations to your fit, so even if you think you got it - you;ll change!

Cavendish is famous for having his fit altered every day to take in to account that you are taller in the morning than you are in the evening, so depending on the roll out time his fit will be different.

Just my opinion, but if someone fits you and they did not explain the brass tacks of the process then they did not obtain the required feedback to properly position you on your bike. Some say you can't fit yourself, but a true master fitter will show you that the only person that can fit you is yourself and the person fitting you merely provides observational feedback based on years of experience. Tim's rendition deserves an award for most comical reply of the month. Can I get a sticky on that?

Just my opinion, but if someone fits you and they did not explain the brass tacks of the process then they did not obtain the required feedback to properly position you on your bike. Some say you can't fit yourself, but a true master fitter will show you that the only person that can fit you is yourself and the person fitting you merely provides observational feedback based on years of experience.

Well said Chuck and, IMHO, you couldn't be more correct!

Back
Top Bottom