What's new

SRAM Red or Dura Ace?

Hi Mike,

I rode a Soloist SL with Dura Ace 7900 on the weekend. Real strange not seeing the gear cables out front extending from the "brifters" (I only wrote this so I could use it Deej). Quieter than my Soloist (I need to find the source of noise on my bike). The 7900 brakes have lots of feel and power (and that was on carbon rims). The gear changes quiet and precise. Really nice. Looks great (especially on the Soloist).

Philip

Lots of feel...

...I like the way you use that expression Philip. While I like Shimano and Dura Ace, I think of DA 78 as being extremely (excessively) powerful but "lacking in feel" compared to Campa. On the weekend, I rode my Orbea after a full year hiatus and was impressed with the Campa Centaur brakes on downhill sections...there is so much feel, it is as if you become one with the frame. The new DA 79 series sounds very attractive; too bad I didn't wait for this upgrade (purchased DA 78 earlier this year).

A technical question if I may; I know it is perfectly possible to combine Campa shifters with Shimano brakes but how about vice versa (for instance, Shimano DA 78 "brifters" in combination with Campa Centaur brakes)?

Hi Mike,

I rode a Soloist SL with Dura Ace 7900 on the weekend. Real strange not seeing the gear cables out front extending from the "brifters" (I only wrote this so I could use it Deej). Quieter than my Soloist (I need to find the source of noise on my bike). The 7900 brakes have lots of feel and power (and that was on carbon rims). The gear changes quiet and precise. Really nice. Looks great (especially on the Soloist).

Philip

Thanks for the info Philip. Sounds like a great bike. Unfortunately the only Soloist they had at Totalcycling.com had a nasty looking chip near the head set opening. They sent me the picture 2 weeks after I ordered it, and still haven't refunded my money! It's been a month since they charged my credit card. I've emailed them repeatedly about it and they aren't replying. As you can imagine I'm extremely frustrated with these people.

And they still have the nerve to have it advertised on their homepage! Unbelievable:mad:

And they still have the nerve to have it advertised on their homepage! Unbelievable:mad:

That is really bad behavior on their behalf. Contact the retailer and tell them you will contact your credit card company if you do not receive a refund in 3 working days. If you don't hear from them, contact your credit card company and tell them the situation. Get your credit card company to contact the retailer (you may have to push them to do so). They can do this through Visa / Mastercard. This will get the problem resolved. The retailer should not have debited your card until they shipped the goods anyway.

Hope this helps, and sorry to hear about the frame :(

Philip

Back
Top Bottom