What's new

SRAM red compact chainset with shimano 105

Tobias, very interested in the SL-k. What rings are on it? How did you find it in the mountains ? Doable or pretty impossible? I think my biggest rear sprocket is a 28.
Standard crankset, so 53-39 (Like you have now right?)

I did Wada on this crankset just when I bought my bike here, and somehow manage to make it all the way up (on my second attempt). But you're mr mountain goat so piece of cake for you right ;-)

Standard crankset, so 53-39 (Like you have now right?)

I did Wada on this crankset just when I bought my bike here, and somehow manage to make it all the way up (on my second attempt). But you're mr mountain goat so piece of cake for you right ;-)
I have a 52-36 on at the moment I think. Do you think I can put my 36 on yours?

if your chainring's BCD is 130mm, it should work… but I think you have 110mm if you have a mid-compact… not sure about that though​

if your chainring's BCD is 130mm, it should work… but I think you have 110mm if you have a mid-compact… not sure about that though​
Cheers. I'll check the BCD tonight. If it is 130mm like yours I'll definitely have your crank off you for 1man.

Went from SL-k to Dura Ace and felt the difference, especailly when accelerating out of the corners. So much in fact I almost crashed the first time I rode them as the carbon SL-K seemed to flex a hell of a lot.

CX bike used the CX Ultegra cranks, removed and replaced with DA as I was flexing the hell out of the spider and loosening the chain ring bolts - no issue with the DA's

105 cranks just feel mushy when I put the hammer down.

Init. I legged my birds rig down the road the other day and her 105 chainset felt all boingy compared to the cranks I have been sessioning (DA and SiSL2).

Well my heap as chips FSA gossamer pro feels fine to me. Can't say I notice any flex. Seems like you guys are happy with your DA cranks. How much can I get a DA crank for these days? Must say I'm still interested in the SL-K from tobias though (if I can get a slightly smaller chain ring to fit).

Well my heap as chips FSA gossamer pro feels fine to me. Can't say I notice any flex. Seems like you guys are happy with your DA cranks. How much can I get a DA crank for these days? Must say I'm still interested in the SL-K from tobias though (if I can get a slightly smaller chain ring to fit).

LOL you probably don't, but how often do you hit 1200w ?

I love the Dura Ace cranks, they are exceptional in all areas and as I run 3 bikes I need interchangeability DA is just the perfect choice for a full season calendar of racing.

Don't get me wrong the SL-K are beautiful cranks and I loved them, however I'm all about marginal gains and the DA's were stiffer and dropped less wattage in the drive train.

My current chainset weighs around 850g and the red is around 550g. I'm sure I probably won't feel much difference (if any) but if I want to drop weight on my bike then I guess every little helps.

That's going to make almost as much difference as a half full vs. empty water bottle ;) I think for most people the biggest bang for the buck, weight wise, is still the weight they drop around their hips (especially as you can lose it by riding enough, no expensive purchases necessary).

No, the biggest bang for buck is to drop loads of weight off your bike AND off your body.

Owen, there are probably more people here who could drop 10 kg off their bodies than their bikes, at almost any price :)

Well, aside from you calling everyone fat, I think you are judging us by your own standards; dropping 10kg off our bikes would send most of us into minus-weight bikes...

Owen, there are probably more people here who could drop 10 kg off their bodies than their bikes, at almost any price :)
Joe, Im not sure you could class me as someone that could do with losing 10kg from their waist. I'm currently at 4.6% body fat, I alternate between 20km and 10km runs every weekday morning (yes that's running, not cycling) and I do a quick 20km blast on the Arakawa every weekday morning before my run (unless its raining, when I only do a run). Most people say that having a body fat percentage of under 5% starts to actually have a bad influence on endurance so I don't want to be losing anymore weight. Yes, you are right in saying that the weigh saving would only be about half a water bottle of wage but I'd prefer to take two full water bottles into the mountains with me and have a lighter crank than have a heavier crank with 1.5 bottles (I realise you weren't actually suggesting taking less water though). As I can't lose body weight Im only left with one option, lose weight from the bike. My bike is 8.4kg so plenty of room for improvement ;)

dropping 10kg of our bikes would send most of us into minus-weight bikes...

Right, it would be impossible. That's exactly my point. Usually, big savings are easier to be found elsewhere (but of course not in a steel bodied hulk like you ;) ).

There's a point of diminishing returns on both bike weight and body weight, but most of us hit it sooner on bike weight.

Leicaman, point taken. With your body fat it makes absolute sense to think about weight savings on the bike, if you want any.

The difference between cost and value is vast, and god is in the details.

We could all ride bikes that sit at the event horizon of cost - performance, but the real fun is going on far deeper in the black hole.

And there is no point polishing a turd, eh.

LOL you probably don't, but how often do you hit 1200w

Don't think I'd know what 1200w looked like if it jumped up and slapped me around the face a few times. But that can't be a bad thing, can it? Having said that I don't know what 12w looks like. It's all gobbledygook to me.

I checked my chain rings on my current crank and the BCD is 110mm so they won't fit on the SL-K crank. I'm currently running a 52-36 with an 11-28 cassette. Id like the SL-k crank but just worried about getting up the mountains. If I change to an 11-30 cassette and the 53-39 chainset do you think it would be much different to what I'm running now?
I also noticed on wiggle that they say I can't run the dura ace 9000 chainset with my 10speed Shimano 105 drive chain. Is that right?
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom