What's new

Tech SRAM Exact Actuation - Parts compatibility

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Due to reasons (parts shortage, me having covid, me wanting to change my gravel bike from 1x to 2x), I have been doing a lot of research on the current groups available for road/gravel bikes. I have been searching wireless, mechanical, etc... reading up and making my own pros and cons list. I have been watching youtube video and reading other opinions and just when I almost think I know what I want, I recall that unlike some of these reviewers, I ride every bike like a mountain bike. This makes a clutch derailleur a bit more important to me than some others.

So I am not going to list out my opinions on everything I read, but I figured I would share this nugget for others who may be getting into the gravel game or having issues with dropped chains or maybe just an annoying case of chain slap.

SRAM uses Exact Actuation on their current 11 speed products. Exact Actuation is of course their marketing speak, but there is one HUGE benefit. Anything on the mechanical side of SRAM that says Exact Actuation is in fact using the exact same amount of cable pull. Why is this important? SRAM 11 speed Road, SRAM 10 speed Road, and SRAM 10 speed MTB is all Exact Actuation.

I knew this before, but I guess let it slide out the back of my brain. My Vassago Gravel Bike is Apex 10sp road shifters with a GX 10 speed clutch derailleur. I opted for the GX over a WiFli derailleur for wider range as well as the clutch that will help keep my chain on the 1x system when I am riding rougher terrain.

When looking at what is available today, I realized I could use that same GX 10 speed derailleur with Force 11sp shifters and gain the addition of the clutch to prevent excessive chain slap. Add in this derailleur is $40usd cheaper than the Force mechanical and it is quite a good realization that I am now considering.

100% Compatible:
Sram 11 speed Road
Sram 10 speed Road
Sram 10 speed MTB

The 10/11 speed is ultimately determined by the shifters.
The 10 speed derailleurs will work on the 11 speed shifter/cassette.
The 11 speed derailleurs will work on the 10 speed shifter/cassette.

To add to the 10 speed compatibility, I am using a Shimano 11 speed MTB crank and Sunrace Wide Ratio 10 speed cassette on my Vassago.
To add to the 11 speed compatibility, I am using a Shimano 11 speed MTB cassette on my Sage running Sram Rival1 components.

--------------------------------------

If you are currently running SRAM 10sp road - if you wanted to upgrade to 11 speed, you should only need a new right shifter, cassette, & chain.
Even your 10 speed Crankset will work with the 11 speed chain.

I hope this info help someone save some cash during upgrade time!

Due to reasons (parts shortage, me having covid, me wanting to change my gravel bike from 1x to 2x), I have been doing a lot of research on the current groups available for road/gravel bikes. I have been searching wireless, mechanical, etc... reading up and making my own pros and cons list. I have been watching youtube video and reading other opinions and just when I almost think I know what I want, I recall that unlike some of these reviewers, I ride every bike like a mountain bike. This makes a clutch derailleur a bit more important to me than some others.

So I am not going to list out my opinions on everything I read, but I figured I would share this nugget for others who may be getting into the gravel game or having issues with dropped chains or maybe just an annoying case of chain slap.

SRAM uses Exact Actuation on their current 11 speed products. Exact Actuation is of course their marketing speak, but there is one HUGE benefit. Anything on the mechanical side of SRAM that says Exact Actuation is in fact using the exact same amount of cable pull. Why is this important? SRAM 11 speed Road, SRAM 10 speed Road, and SRAM 10 speed MTB is all Exact Actuation.

I knew this before, but I guess let it slide out the back of my brain. My Vassago Gravel Bike is Apex 10sp road shifters with a GX 10 speed clutch derailleur. I opted for the GX over a WiFli derailleur for wider range as well as the clutch that will help keep my chain on the 1x system when I am riding rougher terrain.

When looking at what is available today, I realized I could use that same GX 10 speed derailleur with Force 11sp shifters and gain the addition of the clutch to prevent excessive chain slap. Add in this derailleur is $40usd cheaper than the Force mechanical and it is quite a good realization that I am now considering.

100% Compatible:
Sram 11 speed Road
Sram 10 speed Road
Sram 10 speed MTB

The 10/11 speed is ultimately determined by the shifters.
The 10 speed derailleurs will work on the 11 speed shifter/cassette.
The 11 speed derailleurs will work on the 10 speed shifter/cassette.

To add to the 10 speed compatibility, I am using a Shimano 11 speed MTB crank and Sunrace Wide Ratio 10 speed cassette on my Vassago.
To add to the 11 speed compatibility, I am using a Shimano 11 speed MTB cassette on my Sage running Sram Rival1 components.

--------------------------------------

If you are currently running SRAM 10sp road - if you wanted to upgrade to 11 speed, you should only need a new right shifter, cassette, & chain.
Even your 10 speed Crankset will work with the 11 speed chain.

I hope this info help someone save some cash during upgrade time!

A branch ripped through my SRAM APEX 1x11 rear derailleur and some spokes last week.

SRAM parts are expensive and impossible to come by.

So I ordered a compatible Sensah derailleur. 6 or 7000 yen so half the price of SRAM.

A short ride today and the shifting is crisp.

Just need to test the durability.

Andy

20220408_170406.jpg

Interesting fix! I am not familiar with Sensah, so your long term review would be my only point of reference.
The GX 10 speed derailleur stateside is $73.

I wish I knew you needed an Apex, I am pretty sure I have a WiFli in the parts bin.

According to Tim at Astuto it's better than SRAM.

I'll ride it to the limit. In Covid times it pays to have spare parts of everything, so if it performs well, I'll order another.

Andy
I was looking for parts and saw the Sensah brand on Amazon but figured it was some cheap knock off of low quality. So glad to hear your endorsement and Tim's.

I have a Sensah drive set and would advise anybody to use one with extreme care. Perhaps if you're a tinkerer and confident of your skills, it's OK. But I am neither. Sensah apparently works well with a single front ring, but I use two and the front derailleur needs constant adjustment and I've had almost nothing but trouble with it. Shifting from both the front and back has been pretty shoddy. It worked well for about 3-4 rides. I regret not ordering Shimano when I needed to change my drive set, particularly as I have effectively been grounded for three months. Probably would have arrived by now.

Back
Top Bottom