Spring Break!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
NO! Not that one!

This one! Inside my gear shifter lever...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4143%2F4909402992_1e1f690484.jpg&hash=01e49f095ec64c1e870758aab57e2a5a

I can still change gears, but the shifter won't spring back to its original position afterwards.
I have to do it manually (and it's chafing above my fingernail).
I have already bought a second-hand set on Yahoo auction, but unfortunately, they won't be ready in time for me to join Philip tomorrow at Otsuki :warau:
Next weekend though, if the weather permits, it might be time to see about that "Fuji" ride.
Travis

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Travis,

Those look like Shimano shifters? Do you know about the returns policy? Send them to Shimano and they will fix them free of charge if it's a mechanical thing like that. (However, I think they are charging for 9 speed and below from this year - a nominal 2000 yen fee or something like that). Same goes for derailleurs too.

Lever problems have happened to me so many times that it's well worth having a few spare ones so you're not inconvenienced when they are away being repaired. I just raid the spares bin at the bike shop.

If you do want some more levers, I noticed there was a real assortment of used ones in the 500 yen corner too. Let me know if you need some.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Just arrived!

Travis,

Those look like Shimano shifters? Do you know about the returns policy? Send them to Shimano and they will fix them free of charge if it's a mechanical thing like that. (However, I think they are charging for 9 speed and below from this year - a nominal 2000 yen fee or something like that). Same goes for derailleurs too.
Lever problems have happened to me so many times that it's well worth having a few spare ones so you're not inconvenienced when they are away being repaired. I just raid the spares bin at the bike shop.
If you do want some more levers, I noticed there was a real assortment of used ones in the 500 yen corner too. Let me know if you need some.

Andy
www.jyonnobitime.com/time
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the information - I didn't know they (Shimano) would fix them.
By the way, you were spot-on! They are Shimano. The older 9-speed model (7600?)

Basically, I just panicked. I know if I had waited one day, I could have easily dropped by the LBS and seen what spares he may have had lying around.
I simply did the only pro-active thing I could think of at the time - Order on-line!
Anyway, they're here now :D

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4097%2F4922900004_2e33c2b630.jpg&hash=a933eb52f93be8ce0c2408234ca5cabf

I will take your advice, and get the old ones fixed (even if it costs ¥2,000) so I have a set of spares.

Thanks again! Travis