What's new

Help Spoke length calculations

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
After some dude in a white minivan decided to back into my rear wheel I've been given a good reason to build a new set of wheels. I'm not great with spoke calculations and would appreciate some help.

Rims:
TNI AL22
ERD: 592mm

Hubs:
Powerway r13
R13 Dimensions.jpg

Spokes:
CN Spoke 494 Aero

I've gotten a few different figures from online calculators so I figured I'd pick your guys' brains before ordering the spokes. I'm also in the market for some nipple washers, so if you'd like to sell me some or know where to get them drop me a line.

Cheers :)

How do those numbers look to you? I'm not sure I got the flange to center correct.
No, I haven't ordered the hubs yet, only the rims so far.

did your old hubs get broken?! If so, then your frame has to be wrecked too.
Just the rim of my back wheel got damaged. The frame doesn't seem to have suffered any structural damage.

Here is a better diagram with more specs.
R13 Schematic.png

I gave that wheel to the guy who very generously donated a replacement wheel (which allowed me to complete my Okinawa trip). It was just a Shimano R501, which I was planning to replace anyway.
I could buy another set of Novatec hubs (the same ones that are doing a good job on my carbon tubbies). Something like this:
Novatec pics.jpg
Here's a diagram:
Novatech F482SB Specs.jpg

These are the same hubs I'm running on my Cervelo. They've given me zero trouble so they might be a safer bet.
Novatec hubs f-r pics.jpg

I ended up going for these hubs:
Novatec-A291SB red.jpg
They're 3 pawl 11 speed hubs. Not the lightest but exactly the same as I used in my last wheel build so I figured I'd stick with what I know, the other set is still going strong so these hubs should last for a reasonable distance.
Aero CN 494 spokes from here, once again not the lightest but I'm looking for reliability and low maintenance.
Nipple washers all round.
TNI AL22 clincher rims from here . 20/24H, reasonably light at ~380g each.

These aren't weightweenies but I'm pretty happy with the result:
IMG_20160119_005223.jpg
IMG_20160118_000833.jpg

Back
Top Bottom