What's new

(SPOILERS) Giro d' Italia Results

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Quite a few of us are watching the Giro and many other races via torrents. Obviously that delays things slightly for us. It would be sincerely appreciated if results were:

• not posted in thread titles
  • not posted in any threads without "(SPOILERS)" in the title

So I've started this thread to hopefully consolidate Giro discussion, and help avoid spoiling results for those who are watching the race with a time delay. Your understanding and cooperation is sincerely appreciated! Discuss away!! :D

Also, I noticed after posting this that it would be better if the "(SPOILERS)" warning was at the beginning of the title. And... thank you for fixing that Owen!

good thread, fair point on SPOILERS. I've been recording it on TV, only JP commentary though, unfortunately.

So an American at the top of the TT, eh? not too shabby.... bit disappointed with Cavendish.

Sadly, not all that familiar with many of these riders. Also sadly, I see the AG2R team (Kuota!) is at the bottom of the tables......

A seriously impressive performance by Taylor Phinney! It'll be interesting to watch him develop into more of an all arounder in the next few years!

Almost a strike - Pink, Red and the Rainbow!

So interesting TTT, Garmin Barracuda performed well! Too bad for BMC and Phinney. He definitely seemed to be affected by the crash on the previous stage.

For 30 secs off, I thought BMC did quite well seeing as they were dealing with Phinny's ankle, his little offroad adventure, and the rest of the team slowing down to keep him with the group.

Watching the Giro live now....

just saw a Farnese rider take a can of coke from the support car for himself. Is that a normal drink to have on these kinds of rides? hadn't noticed anything like that before.....

For 30 secs off, I thought BMC did quite well seeing as they were dealing with Phinny's ankle, his little offroad adventure, and the rest of the team slowing down to keep him with the group.

Yeah, they did the best they could given the circumstances.

Watching the Giro live now....

just saw a Farnese rider take a can of coke from the support car for himself. Is that a normal drink to have on these kinds of rides? hadn't noticed anything like that before.....

Coke is often the drink of choice to give a little burst of energy and mostly just because it tastes good.... They burn off the energy from it in about 5 minutes...just a change from water. perks them up a little. Like giving a little kid a candy bar.

This isn't unique to the Giro, but what does the time marker on the maglia rosa jersey mean on the top left? Is it how close the peleton is to the front? how close #2 is to #1 (overall?)

other?

haven't figured it out.

The Maglia Rosa counter is supposed to be the difference between the lead group/rider and the pink jersey at this moment in the race. If the pink jersey is in the peloton, it's the difference between the lead and the peloton.

Of course, they're Italians, so you can never be sure of what's really going on. In reality it's the time difference by GPS between two motorcycles, wherever they may be.

Sometimes, especially in time trials, they will show live virtual standings, that is the difference in the general classification adjusted by the current time difference in the race. Usually this is indicated by some declension of the word "virtual".

Stage 15 preview video

The mountains have arrived!

I was checking out VeloNews and came across this well-produced little video offering a preview of tonight's stage 15 as well as insights on strategy and technique.

The commentary is by British cyclist Daniel Lloyd, a former rider for Cervelo and now on Team IG-Sigma Sport.

For those of you who don't know, you can watch the race live in Italian here. Coverage usually starts at about 9:30 p.m.

Deej

Looking forward to the Schleck - Bruyneel fireworks...
`Schleck pulled out of the Giro after less than 30 kilometers of stage 15 with a shoulder injury and Bruyneel could not hide his feelings at the finish, telling reporters he was 'disappointed' in Fränk Schleck. According to nieuwsblad.be Bruyneel added: "I can not say much ... but I am surprised and disappointed by his statement. This morning I had hoped that he could finish on the podium, I was convinced that his condition was good enough to finish among the best."`
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/is-the-bruyneel-schleck-amalgamation-imploding

Stage 15

Yeah, that was an exciting stage. I've just watched 15 and even more great cycling there.

Agreed, the mountain top finish did not disappoint with gutsy performances by both Rodriguez and Rabottini! Just when it looked like he was toast, Rabottini dug deep one last time to take the stage victory, which gave Rodriguez the pink jersey as a worthy consolation prize!

Back
Top Bottom