What's new

(SPOILER ALERT) Tour de France 2013

Fine.

You seem quite wrapped up in all of this.
I,on the other hand, am not.

Are you prepared to believe in him?

Not bothered either way.

Sky Sky Sky Sky Sky Sky Sky Sky Sky

The whole sport is under scrutiny from people who want to sell newspapers and advertising space on websites. There are die hard fans who also seem to care but I am watching for the lulz. It entertains me more than other things I could waste my time on right now.

I am not sure, that without the media hype, many other people would give it a second thought. The generation who peddled the drugs are on their way out, their methods and way of thinking is dead. You'll get the odd one being odd but that's the case the sporting world over.

If it all falls into godlessness again I wont lose any sleep over it and I sure a sh1t wont be disappointed in anyone. I have no vested interest in them being clean or dirty all I stated was that your expressed opinion was stinking.

I watched the cycling then turned it off. I didn't watch or care what happened in press conferences or what was reported in the wider media. I watched the stage, went to sleep, woke up and checked my fantasy team points, and waited for the next stage to begin. I would be frightened if it meant more to me than that.

The whole sport is under scrutiny from people who want to sell newspapers and advertising space on websites. There are die hard fans who also seem to care but I am watching for the lulz. It entertains me more than other things I could waste my time on right now.

I am not sure, that without the media hype, many other people would give it a second thought. The generation who peddled the drugs are on their way out, their methods and way of thinking is dead. You'll get the odd one being odd but that's the case the sporting world over.

If it all falls into godlessness again I wont lose any sleep over it and I sure a sh1t wont be disappointed in anyone. I have no vested interest in them being clean or dirty all I stated was that your expressed opinion was stinking.

I watched the cycling then turned it off. I didn't watch or care what happened in press conferences or what was reported in the wider media. I watched the stage, went to sleep, woke up and checked my fantasy team points, and waited for the next stage to begin. I would be frightened if it meant more to me than that.

That is really well said. I couldn't agree more.

Yep again, totally with you Darragh! It's interesting how some people really seem to care about it? Whether Froome or any other pro is clean or not has nothing to do with me or my life. Why I would I be vested in that? If it causes you anguish and you don't enjoy the show, professional cycling that is, don't watch, simple. Just go ride your bike already!

I think the problem stems from the fact that during the Lance years many people did buy in to it, they bought the bikes, clothing, sunnies, cock rings ...... sorry wrist bands and books. They beleived the hype and the dream and they spread the word. When the sky finally did fall in they were left standing there looking rather stupid.

Personally, I don`t get Sky`s tactics at all at this tour. They must have known that Froome would come under suspicion, so why not keep him under reins and just do what is needed to win? There was no need for the Aix-en-Provence display or the explosion from Contador on Ventoux. And it leaves them open to the conspiracy theorists who would question his `fatigue` on the penultimate stage...and what happened on the last part of the TT.
I don't want to sound flippant, but this is the most stupid comment I've come across on the TCC website as of yet. Are to seriously suggesting Froome shouldn't have given 100%, just to keep the conspiracy theory cretins off his back?

I don't want to sound flippant, but this is the most stupid comment I've come across on the TCC website as of yet. Are to seriously suggesting Froome shouldn't have given 100%, just to keep the conspiracy theory cretins off his back?
Maybe I am also misreading it, but that's what it sounds like to me too!

If you would read other sources then you would see that this is something that has been discussed in great depth all over the Internet.

Really? You have no stakes of where cycling goes whatsoever? I doubt that. Or are you a shallow fixie rider?

Yep again, totally with you Darragh! It's interesting how some people really seem to care about it? Whether Froome or any other pro is clean or not has nothing to do with me or my life. Why I would I be vested in that? If it causes you anguish and you don't enjoy the show, professional cycling that is, don't watch, simple. Just go ride your bike already!

Again, sounds like you have only shallow interest in cycling. Sure most of us are not in our teens anymore but if you are a junior rider then clean competition mean the world to you (as you dream about the big sporting future, as all boys do). So if you have kids, and you want to promote cycling to them, then you should have a vivid interest in a clean sport.

just one sample: bad press --> less money in the sport + less public interest --> less infrastructure; less investment in technical advancement,... --> you
Not really sure how I fall into that equation and also not getting how you end up there from what I posted.

How does me caring lead to technical advancements?

I understand the path you laid out.

Not really sure how I fall into that equation and also not getting how you end up there from what I posted.

Thought so by reading here ...
I have no vested interest in them being clean or dirty ...
I would be frightened if it meant more to me than that.

How does me caring lead to technical advancements?
I understand the path you laid out.

You are part if the image that cycling has (-->public opinion). Never get asked from your non-cycling buddies what you think about doping?

Again, sounds like you have only shallow interest in cycling.
Yeah, me leading quality rides nearly every weekend is a clear demonstration of my general shallow interest isn't it? I've initiated many and directly promoted cycling to quite a few cyclists. How about you?

I focus my efforts and resources on the people and the things that I can have an a effect on, and that directly benefit my life and those around me. If you want to waste your time and emotional energy on what professional cyclist is clean or not, good luck to you. Seems like a colossal waste of time to me.

Yeah, me leading quality rides nearly every weekend is a clear demonstration of my general shallow interest isn't it? I've initiated many and directly promoted cycling to quite a few cyclists. How about you?

Thank you I joined at least once :)
Back to the topic - doping: For me "Race" and "Show" are two different things. When it comes to sports I am not interested in "Show". Looking for show? Maybe wrestling?

Looking for show? Maybe wrestling?
I'm not looking for anything. That is precisely the issue. You and others of your mindset are the ones looking for something. Based on your hopes, dreams and expectations, you are looking for your ideal. The issue is it's not realistic, you are looking for something that doesn't exist. I, on the other hand, am accepting the reality of what is, and am able to find enjoyment in it.

You are part if the image that cycling has (-->public opinion). Never get asked from your non-cycling buddies what you think about doping?

Nope, no one ever asks because no one cares.

I enjoy watching it clean or not. Good sport is good sport, entertainment is what it is.

The question of whether cycling is clean or not is asked by those who feel their memories, goals, dreams, life long ambitions have been trampled on, sullied, ripped from them, devastated by recent uncoverings. I do not count myself among that number.

Perpetuating the myth that cycling has something to hide or something to overcome is the job of the media, not you. You, as an avid cyclist, are here to enjoy what you can of the recreational activity you take part in and gain what you will from the professional side of the sport as you feel you should. Model yourself on Sagan, Froome, Contador, Pantani, Armstrong, Simpson, Hinualt, Merckx,, all power to you. Pin your everything on the yellow jersey and I fear for your sanity.

Even the youth.

Teams losing sponsorship is as much to do with doping scandals as economic downturn. It might be a shame to the world of cycling to lose names such as Vacansoleil, Euskadi , Radioshack, RaboBank, but this has happened before and it will happen again.

I'm not looking for anything. That is precisely the issue. You and others of your mindset are the ones looking for something. Based on your hopes, dreams and expectations, you are looking for your ideal. The issue is it's not realistic, you are looking for something that doesn't exist. I, on the other hand, am accepting the reality of what is, and am able to find enjoyment in it.

Read too many self-help books? C'mon, you are not looking for anything? Don't care if the rules are applied or not? Don't care if some would have small engines in their bike and some not, just enjoy the blinking bikes? ... I don't believe you, even not on the other other hand!

Back
Top Bottom