What's new

Speeding cyclist fined and loses demerit points

I wonder how he was clocked. I've heard that some cars are stealthier to radar than others, but it's steel radial tires that then provide the reflection.

ps--due to the cycling there (and wx), I've looked at Perth as a possible retirement destination. Not permanent, but thru Japan's winter months.

im not sure how they got him itd be good to know. Perths great awesome beaches and the roads are generally perfect, i gotta say i miss the place right now with all the beach photos my mates put up on facebook. I'd kill for a surf right now :)

im not sure how they got him itd be good to know. Perths great awesome beaches and the roads are generally perfect, i gotta say i miss the place right now with all the beach photos my mates put up on facebook. I'd kill for a surf right now :)

Well alot of the backlash seems to be caused by cyclists running red lights and disobeying road rules. I can understand how motorist get frustrated by this. There a few on this forum who continually break road rules and IMO contribute to the bad image of cyclists!

Road rules were made with cars in mind, not bicycles. There is nothing wrong with breaking SOME of them. Cops should concentrate more on speeding cars and trucks than bicycles unless of course it is in the school zone.

In certain parts of Paris, cyclists are allowed to run red lights. It is currently an experiment, but other French cities have experimented with this new rule and it was a success (no rise in accidents).
http://www.theurbancountry.com/2012/02/paris-cyclists-allowed-to-run-red.html

i agree Mike, ive always been one for following the rules unfortunatly in Perth there are a few group rides that think because it is 5:30 in the morning that they own the road, its pretty bad there now with these groups, theyre even agressive to their fellow cyclists, if your riding solo at 35/40 km/h they shout at you to hop on the footpath because your a "danger" to their peloton worst thing is most of em dont race and dont care about the bad rep they give cyclists in the area....just a bunch of ****s on weight weenie cervelos, bianchis and pinarellos.

unfortunatly in australia something like that isnt possible Bartek, i wish it was but australias reliance on cars is too great and most people are too lazy to even walk a kilometre to the shops or corner store. bike culture has started to grow in australia thanks to the tour and all the livestrong folk and their yellow wristbands but the car will always reign supreme in australia. That is of course until a few years time when petrol cracks the 2-3 dollar a litre mark.

Road rules were made with cars in mind, not bicycles. There is nothing wrong with breaking SOME of them. Cops should concentrate more on speeding cars and trucks than bicycles unless of course it is in the school zone./url]
Trouble is cyclist want to be treated like regular road users in terms of being given space and thorofare but then want to NOT be treated like regular road users. It's either one or the other, esp in cities designed for car commuters. I'm with Mike on this , play by the rules or stop complaining about others brreaking them.

.......I'm with Mike on this , play by the rules or stop complaining about others breaking them.

Totally agree, I stop at red lights, sometimes I have drivers look at me in disbelief.... :D

i agree Mike, ive always been one for following the rules unfortunatly in Perth there are a few group rides that think because it is 5:30 in the morning that they own the road, its pretty bad there now with these groups, theyre even agressive to their fellow cyclists, if your riding solo at 35/40 km/h they shout at you to hop on the footpath because your a "danger" to their peloton worst thing is most of em dont race and dont care about the bad rep they give cyclists in the area....just a bunch of ****s on weight weenie cervelos, bianchis and pinarellos.

unfortunatly in australia something like that isnt possible Bartek, i wish it was but australias reliance on cars is too great and most people are too lazy to even walk a kilometre to the shops or corner store. bike culture has started to grow in australia thanks to the tour and all the livestrong folk and their yellow wristbands but the car will always reign supreme in australia. That is of course until a few years time when petrol cracks the 2-3 dollar a litre mark.

Sounds like any big North American city. I thought Australia wa more like Europe, but I guess I was wrong then.

As for the riders you described, YES I definitely agree with you there. They are very annoying. I was referring to "normal" cyclists.

Trouble is cyclist want to be treated like regular road users in terms of being given space and thorofare but then want to NOT be treated like regular road users. It's either one or the other, esp in cities designed for car commuters. I'm with Mike on this , play by the rules or stop complaining about others brreaking them.

The problem here is that we cannot really compare an impact caused by 10kg bicycle and 1000kg car. I strongly believe that the only reason cyclists share any road with cars is due to the lack of bicycle lanes.

The problem here is that we cannot really compare an impact caused by 10kg bicycle and 1000kg car.
Hence the need to make rules that all users must abide by, size doesn't matter. I know "thats what she said"

:
Hence the need to make rules that all users must abide by, size doesn't matter. I know "thats what she said"

:) Ha ha Don't they all say that.

How I wish that every large city/town in the world had bicycle pahs. That would surely solve many problems.

Back
Top Bottom