What's new

SPD cleats life expectancy

I also have a left cleat issue, though mine disengages at will, sod's law of course dictates at the least convenient time. is it the pedal or the cleat that wears?

left pedal illustrated below

They are, of course, both going to wear, but the cleat is made of a softer alloy in order to wear faster than the pedal. That should mean under normal usage you should go through a number of sets of cleats before needing to replace the pedals.

Regarding your disengagement problem, aside from aesthetic issues, your pedal looks OK. Have you tried a new set of cleats?

Also make sure your cleat has not loosened and turn a little bit changing angle to disengage. Loose cleat = no disengage and rider on ground flailing trying to get the bike off of him.... not that this has ever happened to me... I am just guessing if it were to happen to me, that would be my reaction.... :rolleyes:

I also have a left cleat issue, though mine disengages at will, sod's law of course dictates at the least convenient time. is it the pedal or the cleat that wears?

Do you normally unclip your left foot when you stop? My left cleat wears faster, as 9 times out of 10 it is the foot I unclip, so the cleat gets more wear. Last time the left cleat became unusuable, I just took it off and stuck an old right one on that still had some use. In future, if you are feeling anal, you can always swap the cleats over every so often, to rotate wear. Just don`t try sprinting with worn cleats...

They are, of course, both going to wear, but the cleat is made of a softer alloy in order to wear faster than the pedal. That should mean under normal usage you should go through a number of sets of cleats before needing to replace the pedals.

Regarding your disengagement problem, aside from aesthetic issues, your pedal looks OK. Have you tried a new set of cleats?

I did go straight out and buy a new set of cleats. THEN I found that the allen bolts that hold the cleats in place, were not planning on moving anytime soon. I soaked them overnight in a generic spray lube, but they didn't budge. Considered a visit to Stuart's workshop, and a meeting with a nice stud extractor.

So being the careful fastidious bloke that I am, I promptly forgot about it and soldiered on. Until today. When I left home, the cleat was definitely there. 5km later and walking, the left shoe felt strangely flexible.

Do you normally unclip your left foot when you stop? My left cleat wears faster, as 9 times out of 10 it is the foot I unclip, so the cleat gets more wear. Last time the left cleat became unusuable, I just took it off and stuck an old right one on that still had some use. In future, if you are feeling anal, you can always swap the cleats over every so often, to rotate wear. Just don`t try sprinting with worn cleats...

entirely correct. believe me, I would never try sprinting anywhere:eek:

I did go straight out and buy a new set of cleats. THEN I found that the allen bolts that hold the cleats in place, were not planning on moving anytime soon. I soaked them overnight in a generic spray lube, but they didn't budge. Considered a visit to Stuart's workshop, and a meeting with a nice stud extractor.

So being the careful fastidious bloke that I am, I promptly forgot about it and soldiered on. Until today. When I left home, the cleat was definitely there. 5km later and walking, the left shoe felt strangely flexible.

so I am guessing a sole repair is not really going to work. cracked all the way across. a shame, I really like those shoes. they might have had another year in them I suppose. the covering on the toes was cracked and probably lets in the weather if no shoe covers.

has anyone tried repairing shoes?

Back
Top Bottom