What's new

Tech Sourcing and Suggestions for commuter/bikepacking frame

YamanashiLiving123

Maximum Pace
Dec 9, 2015
Hello fellow cyclists,
I picked up a very sweet Mason Bokeh frame from a fellow TCC member and will be spending the next few months building it out.
This bike will be my commuter/bikepacking bike.

Ordered a set of Hunt 4-season disc brake wheels, panaracer gravelkings 38s and a Absolute Black 42t oval 1x ring to go with my ultegra 6870 crank.

I have been doing a lot of research to determine compatibility and finding it challenging and a bit overwhelming.

Here's the deal:
I am thinking of buying a Shimano XT 8050 or 9050 Di2 rear derailleur (no front needed). The question I have about compatibility is can I use front and rear Di2 Ultegra shifter/brake levers for the rear derailleur? (I know I will not wire up one because I am not using a front derailleur).
The idea is to have a 42t 1x ring, with an 11-42 casette in the rear. I know that Ultegra Di2 derailleurs only go up to 34t which is why I am not considering going with ultegra Di2 at the moment, but may if there are compatibility issues or find that a 42 in the rear anyone thinks is not necessary.

Oh and trying to keep costs down so Ultegra 6870, or XT8050 or 9050 fits within the budget. May consider the Ultegra RX850 (newer model). DA is out of my range.

Any suggestions or alternative options appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would go with an XT 8050 Di2 rear derailleur as long as it works with your ultegra shifter. Which ultegra shifters to you have. I know @Musashi13 uses ultegra shifters with his XT8050. The XTR 9050 is super expensive, no?
11-42 should be fine for commuting and bikepacking. The 42 will be needed when you've got a full load and you hit a climb. You can also pop a road cassette on those hunt wheels if you don't like the gaps between the cogs for commuting (although I can't see you needing to do this).

Personally I would go with an XT 8050 Di2 rear derailleur as long as it works with your ultegra shifter. Which ultegra shifters to you have. I know @Musashi13 uses ultegra shifters with his XT8050. The XTR 9050 is super expensive, no?
11-42 should be fine for commuting and bikepacking. The 42 will be needed when you've got a full load and you hit a climb. You can also pop a road cassette on those hunt wheels if you don't like the gaps between the cogs for commuting (although I can't see you needing to do this).
I want to keep the price down and I am looking at getting the 8050 Di2 rear. At the moment I do not have any ultegra shifters and I want to know which model of Ultegra shifters are compatible. From my research it looks like it isn't but I could be reading it wrong.

As for the 11-42 I think that will cover it. But in the future I have an extra set of reynolds wheels I can use with a different cassette and narrower tires so I will have that covered.

The cheapest option would be either roadlink with ultegradi2 (up to 11-40) or tanpan with xt (for mech shifting), both are made by wolftooth components.
For ultegradi2 + xt di2, as long as it says di2, they are compatible, since di2 shifters just send a singal to the derailleur, and the derailleur will make the shifting accordingly.

Is sram force/rival 1x an option?

Hi. Not sure if it helps, but just this morning I watched a video on YouTube from road.cc about what (I think) is a similar setup (di2, large cassette, no FD etc.). Link is here: .

Back
Top Bottom