What's new

Something you should all read

Great article, it really puts things in perspective. I haven't done too many TCC group rides but I felt my first ride was like the bad example. There were 2 really strong guys and 2 newbies (my self and one other). The Leaders set a pace of 35-40 km/h and we soon dropped the 4 man because he was riding on 20's. It was really difficult for me and I was so winded when I got back home. I learned nothing and I felt like I was just beat up.

My second TCC ride was amazing! (Thanks to Tim) There were about 3 experience riders and 3 non-experienced riders (including myself). Tim set a pace that was great for everyone, he would drop back and talk to all of us, gave us advice on cycling and great conversation. When we started to climb Mitou, he set waiting points where we would all stop and regroup and then he would explain the next stage of the route. As I was climbing, he gave me advice on how to better my form and slow my breathing. This was definitely like a good example from the article. It made me really enjoy group rides and I hope to ride with every again soon!

Eric, I grewup with the old school culture of riding and before we were even allowed on the main squad rides we were taken out on rides by an old guy called Bray Douglas and when I say old I was about 14 and he was 60.

On those rides he would beat in to us cycling lore and the rules. He would also make us spin everywhere, massive cadences and slow speeds. We used to bitch and moan about him and some of the other lads quit and joined other clubs or just rode with other groups.

Those that stuck with it learnt a lot, some stuck with the sport others drifted away. I still keep in contact with some of the guys and we still have a good moan about those days being told to repeat a climb or to pull the group till we were dead in our saddles but it all paid off when we were finally allowed to ride with the big boys. It was like a right of passage and you quickly learnt that what you knew was just the beginning and you listened to what everyone had to say otherwise you were dropped off the back with no one to keep you company and normally never invited back.

Today its all about the hammerfest and probably one of the reasons why there are so many poor riders in the Peleton at races, not just in Japan but all over.

That was a nice, short read. Good reminders.

If you haven't seen it, try and find and watch "A Boy, a Girl and a Bike" - a 1949 black and white film about a local bike club in the north of England. There's plenty of bike talk to satisfy the geek, and it's an entertaining film. Also stars a young Diana Dors and a young Honor Blackman.

I have it if you can't find it.

Great article, it really puts things in perspective. I haven't done too many TCC group rides but I felt my first ride was like the bad example. There were 2 really strong guys and 2 newbies (my self and one other). The Leaders set a pace of 35-40 km/h and we soon dropped the 4 man because he was riding on 20's. It was really difficult for me and I was so winded when I got back home. I learned nothing and I felt like I was just beat up.

Eric, is this a reference to the ride up the Edogawa, down the Tonegawa, across Unga and back down Edogawa back at the beginning of the year? If so, respectfully, you were the guy that kept surging forward and upping the pace every time you got in front. I did my best to hold the group together by keeping a nice steady pace that we could all maintain.

Eric, is this a reference to the ride up the Edogawa, down the Tonegawa, across Unga and back down Edogawa back at the beginning of the year? If so, respectfully, you were the guy that kept surging forward and upping the pace every time you got in front. I did my best to hold the group together by keeping a nice steady pace that we could all maintain.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered it that way. Was having a bit of a Rashomon moment...

(Conceding, however, that on the downstream leg of the Tone I also did a lot of the surging. :warau:)

Indeed Phil!

I think that anyone that has been on any of my rides will agree that I do my best to adhere to the guidelines and principles espoused in the article that we are discussing.

This sorta goes back to that thread I made.

I've been a solo rider up to now but do hope to try a group ride some day.

One reason for solo ridin is that I get to do things my way at my speed.
I do see/know that bein pushed makes you stronger though.
Of course, doin things with friends is a blast as well.
I also wanna see and experience different rides and courses in the Tokyo/Chiba/Kanagawa/Saitama areas.

I may ride more than the average rider but I'm never gonna be a racer or have an Av of >30 kmh (not with the jobs I have at least).

I meant nothing bad with my comment( i _ i )you are great guys and great to talk to on the rides! But I was beat up at the end, my legs locked up when I got into my apartmentΣ(゚д゚lll)I really didn't mean to be insulting to you guys! I apologize if it came out sounding that way!

I don't think I was pulling, I remember it being really windy and when I was on the front I would push myself so I wouldn't slow you guys down(>_<) it might have seemed like pulling but I think it's because I don't have a cycle computer that I can pace myself with σ(^_^;)

I know I am described in the bad examples、before reading up on races and what not I would cross wheels or forget to point out major dangers. I am always learning when I ride but I wish there would be a TCC group riding class

Eric, I remember Phil initially setting a pace of approximately 28-30km/hr, which given the wind conditions, we were all comfortable with. Likewise, I also maintained that pace whenever I rotated to the front. Contrastingly, every time you got in front, knowingly or not, you upped the pace at least 3 or 4km/hr. Once this happened a few times, Phil started maintaining your elevated pace. That's when the suffering really started. :D

Anyways, I just wanted to set the record straight, certainly no hard feelings from me. You're welcome to join me on one of my rides any time. :)

But I was beat up at the end, my legs locked up when I got into my apartmentΣ(゚д゚lll)!

Well something good must of come from it as you are still putting in the miles.

I think on Pete's first ride with me and the TCC he got hammered out pretty well.

Tim was given up for dead on his first TCC ride and we even had to layout boyscout trail markers for him! (that still makes me laugh!)

My first ride with the TCC they showed me this thing called a mountain and made me bloodywell ride up it.... infact several of them. Never seen such a thing on the crit stages in the UK and I came home all beat up....but a bloody big grin on my face and out on the bike the following day.

Sometimes that first ride that totally destroys you is what you need, it wakes you up to what you need to be able to do to roll with the boys and give you that extra bit of motivation to get off the sofa.

I actually had a conversation with a member of another club about grading rides and there is a huge misconception that Advanced = Fast.

And advanced ride is so many different things from fast, yes agreed that you need to be able to stick with the group especailly on the transitions between the climbs but I would have to say an advance ride is more about handling the bike, knowing you body and its limits and also group work.

Many people have asked me what kind of training they need to race and I would say the biggest skill is reading, reading and working in a peloton.

Anyone who has been knee deep in a peloton will know the joy of looking down at the speedo and thinking "bloody hell we're doing 45km/h and I'm feeling great! This is easy!!" But unless you are able to read the animal then more likely than not you'll never make that brake or be in the right position to get on 3rd or 4th wheel for the sprint finish.

The only way to read a peloton is to ride in one.

I just wanted to set the record straight, certainly no hard feelings from me.

Ditto this. Was just surprised that this particular ride was cited, as it was pretty mellow thanks to Pete's organization... Heck, I've been dropped on rides that I myself organized--and isn't finishing with toasted legs a requirement in the bylaws or something :)

One way to cure 'breakaway charlies' is to simply let them go. After they've beaten themselves silly and want to tuck back in, don't give them a wheel. This is called 'un-inviting'. When I jumped in the infamous Boso Boyscout Tour ride, I knew what I was getting into - I had no qualms about being dropped, and so mentioned. I also had no qualms about 'being accepted' - I just wanted to see how far I could hang and judge the tenor of the ride and conditioning required to hang in the future.

That being said, I believe Pete has definitely earned the honor of mid-pack whenever he feels like it. Having led-out so many gruelling transits to the Greenline and back. As far as I'm concerned, he should have a free pass at every refreshment stop for the rest of the year.

No he shouldn't Pete's a fatty and should work for everything. :D

Oh and Tim... you have been officially named as the reason for my beer at lunch today.

"..the reason for my beer at lunch today."

Coming out of the closet now, are you...? ;) :rolleyes:

Dude, you need help. Soon.

Maybe for you mate, but I couldn't even drink half a liter ... withough heavy training thrown in. If you can ... then you need help mate and propably something I wouldn't personally be inclined to brag about.

Kind of like saying " I snort 80mg of coke per day"

Warning/disclaimer: That quote is completely mutilated from the original.

(LMAO, btw!) ((and glad you're not blaming me for the "lunchtime liter"))

That being said, I believe Pete has definitely earned the honor of mid-pack whenever he feels like it. Having led-out so many gruelling transits to the Greenline and back. As far as I'm concerned, he should have a free pass at every refreshment stop for the rest of the year.

Cheers Tim, I appreciate the thought!

No he shouldn't Pete's a fatty and should work for everything. :D

Do be a good sport and f*ck off up out of here! :p

PS--just so you know, I'm drinking iced coffee right now since it's rainy, and I have to drive over to pick up a daughter at her school.

Back
Top Bottom