What's new

Somebody up for TOITO Fast Run this year (May 16)?

Lupo

Speeding Up
Jun 8, 2012
Wondering is somebody in interested in the Tokyo Itoigawa Fast Run this year May 16th. Registration will close on March 22nd. Let me know.

Can you provide more details regarding this event?

Hey Jec,

Gunnar has very kindly sent me the scanned images of the TOITO invitation letter. See attached. They provides more details, but I still need to translate them this weekend. Registration have opened on March 1st and they will go until March 22nd, so 8 days from today. You need to pay immediately through post office, and they will refund the money is full capacity is reached.

I have done the fast run last year, and what I can say is:
- registration is by team, 2-3 riders should be sufficient (but more are welcome)
- there is a need to organize some level of support, but I am not sure of that is really mandatory (ie you state you have support but in reality you don't have it); two years ago, we had a car following us, which is quite nice actually
- start is in Yamanashi between 4 and 5am and it takes about 10-12 hours to get to Itoigawa; there are 3-4 aid stations located along the (long) way; about 310Km in total; plan to be there by 4pm.
- it is not a closed race, in the sense the the roads are open to the traffic even if not too much (at least not two years ago); it a sportive

It is good training.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    718.2 KB · Views: 18
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 17
Cheers! Let me check with my buddies if they are interested~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'd be interested. But need to know whether we have a team by tmw (flying out to US for a week).

Is the race actually done as a team? like the rapha gents races?

If so, super interested.

is there anyone interested here to form a team?

im maybe interested to join!!

Congratulations guys for the great results!

Next year, please allow me to participate to this race with your teams, just to make your life a little bit more difficult :-D

Excellent (race) ride! Great report, but what ever happened to Where's Hayakawa san? Where's Hayakawa san? Where's Hayakawa san?
Did he start? did he blow up? So many unanswered questions.
Well done Andy and Tom.
:tup

Cheers guys. Thursday afternoon now and I'm contemplating some hill repeats in the rain...

Trek DJ. Lots of people ride as a team. But you're not guaranteed to start as a team. When you fill in your application, you state your desired start time, so you can try to be together. I put 5am and ended up at 4:44. Hayakawa san likewise 5am but got 4:34. If you ask for 6am, you'll probably get put in that last fast group of 8.

Lupo, the more the merrier! Will you be doing it on your TT bike? The climbs are probably a bit too tough on a TT machine....

Kiwisimon, Hayakawa missed the first turn. By the time he came back, I'd gone. He ended up doing a solo TT too but quit at Shinanomachi because of the cold. As a 2 man tean we would have blown the (race) ride apart!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Hi Andy, no TT bike. I have done it once 3 years ago with Tim and Eric with a road bike.
To be honest, I think that a TT bike would be a killer -with the exception of a couple of hills - all the rest can be easily done down on the aerobars. Probably tough to stay down in TT position for 9 hours ... never tried before :)

Will contact you next year then to do this race as a team!

Lupo I do it all on aerobars except the steepest of hills. The position is not as aggressive as a TT bike so it's as comfortable as riding on the hoods really.

I'm doing the TTT at Uchinada in two weeks. It's a great event. Trek DJ won the TT & TTT last year and my teammate won the RR.

Anyway give me a shout next year for TOITO.

Andy

Last edited:
Andy - congrats! Fantastic effort.

I've a question for you though. When you are piling on the pressure for 300k in basically a solo TT, how do you find the time to eat? Do you eat climbing? Mostly on the flat stuff? A bit everywhere? I find it hard to eat going up hill or under pressure. I guess its force of habit though.

wexford

On a ride like that, I eat constantly. You can never eat too much. Any chance to eat (a short descent, a red light etc) I eat. Lots and lots of small bites. I wouldn't advise eating while climbing or just before a big climb either.

I used the same food as I use in training. So what I'm used to. Lots of bananas and soy joy bars (good taste but difficult to consume without a drink when you are going full gas).

I don't use gels in training but I bought some power bar gels for this event. These are nice and small and can be carried easily. I was glad of these in the latter part of the event.

Drinks are really important too. I made sure I drank both bottles before each checkpoint.

Hope this helps!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom