What's new
  • Dear valued Members,

we kindly ask you to post/repost your classified ads to our new Classifieds section. This subforum is now in read-only status. If you still have active ads, repost them to the new Classified section.

Please submit multiple items seperately: one entry for each item you'd like to post.

Thank you!

Withdrawn Soma Juice 29r Size 19" 147000Yen

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Here is the bike that was going to take over the commuting duty from my Salsa.
However in the recent few months, it has sat while I have ridden the Salsa more and more.
I finally decided that 4 hardtails was a slight overkill and this would be the one to go.

Quick rundown on the build....
Soma Juice Frame
Fox 32 Fork 120mm Kashima coating
XTR Shifters and rear Mechanical
XT Crank, Cassette, Brakes
Hope Pro4 hubs
Hope Enduro Rims
Hope Head Doctor
Thomson Seatpost
Thomson Stem
Jones Bars
blach blah blah....

The bike is no slouch and a hoot to ride XC and Trail.
If it get any more rowdy than that, this bike starts to struggle.
However for the local trails here in Zushi and Hayama, it has been a great bike.
This bike have paragon sliders and can easily be converted to SS.
I rode this bikes twin sister in the SSWC a few years back and had a blast riding down Iwatake in Hakuba.
I am not looking for a bike trade... but that doesn't mean I cannot be convinced if someone has something interesting.

*Note - this build can be modified - prefer flat bars to the Jones? Prefer I shorten the brake lines? etc... It can be done. This setup was for bike packing/commuting. It can be made more MTB oriented.
22008267_10155635742222808_7737794000423108468_n.jpg

22046175_10155635742252808_2546513031333310377_n.jpg

21768116_10155635742312808_2685980322864745494_n.jpg

21767906_10155635742352808_1273953516419428234_n.jpg

FYI - this frame can be setup with a rear rack.
Also - if interested, the Thomson seatpost can be replaced with a CaneCreek Thudbuster seatpost for a more cushy commute.
I also have a few stems I can swap out to help you get a comfy fit - 50mm, 80mm, 110mm.

If only I had enough room. Really cool looking bike. Bet it is a blast to ride singletrack.

It is a great bike. It has just become the odd man out. 4 hard tails and 3 are steel... gonna be some overlap.

Some Q's:

Is frame / bike size as finicky for MTB as it is for road?

What is Singletrack?

If you commute on these bikes: What is your parking situation at work?

Frame size on a MTB is not a exact as road bikes. Most mountain bikes are made in roughly 4 sizes
This is a link to the geometry chart of the newest gen of this bike (I think the only difference is color).
http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/juice

I am 188cm/6'2" and I could have gotten the 19" or 21" frame.
I went with the 19 to be able to through the bike around a bit more.

Singletrack is when a trail is just wide enough for bikes/hiking/MX
Double track is more of a fire road or jeep road.

As for work - my office has a door leading to outside.
My bike sits behind my desk. :)

Good deal.

Thanks for clearing that up. Ok so with four basic sizes does that put a 173 cm (what is that 5'6"? 5'7"?) at an M, L or in between sizes like you?

By the way why is it not S - XL rather than M - XXL? Or is S a Kids / Women size?

What is the numerical frame size to leep in mind?

I've been advised to pay special attention to the top tube length what is the main measurement to look for on these frames, if it's necessary that is?

The problem with the "S, M, L" references on bikes is that it depends on your target audience what each means.
The 15, 17, 19 is also equally useless - except for reference. Just like a road bike, two different 54s will fit completely differently.
Women's mountain bikes are somewhat of a joke to me. It is a normal mountain bike with a shorter top tube and usually pretty colors.
IF it fits you, it fits you. Being an XX or XY has little to do with it. Female specific diamond frame bikes are just a shorter reach version on the unisex counterpart.

Effective/Horizontal top tube is something you could use (as suggested to you already) and it is more reliable than S,M,L - however again it doesn't tell the whole story.
Some prefer for user Stack and Reach to compare bikes. Again - more accurate then the others - but still it leaves a lot to be desired.

While mountain bike fits are less specific to the rider than road - mountain bike purposes have been marketed as more specific.
In another thread we mentioned the XC, Trail, Enduro, etc...
There are geometries considered ideal for each - but you can pretty much to each on any of them, it just makes it harder/easier on the bike you picked.

I own 2 Vassagos. Their website has a size chart you can use for reference.
http://shop.vassagocycles.com/JabberWocky-Frame_p_246.html
Click the "geometry" tab and you will see the list. They go S/M/L
The small is a 16" seat tube. with a 600 top tube.
600 sounds huge in road bike terms, but a flat bar vs road bar is much closer.
For reference, my road bike is a 600 effective TT, my Vassago is a 625. I could ride the 645 if I wanted to, but the wheelbase is longer than I like for tight riding.

They caution this is just for reference.
Rider preference, body type, etc will all determine the correct frame - so just take it as a ballpark guess.
Two people that are the same height, but one with long legs and the other with short legs will most likely prefer different sizes.

--------------
If you are considering buying a bike and this all seems confusing, you are welcome to keep posting or shoot me PMs. I am happy to try and explain it all.

Last edited:
The problem with the "S, M, L" references on bikes is that it depends on your target audience what each means.
The 15, 17, 19 is also equally useless - except for reference. Just like a road bike, two different 54s will fit completely differently.
Women's mountain bikes are somewhat of a joke to me. It is a normal mountain bike with a shorter top tube and usually pretty colors.
IF it fits you, it fits you. Being an XX or XY has little to do with it. Female specific diamond frame bikes are just a shorter reach version on the unisex counterpart.

Effective/Horizontal top tube is something you could use (as suggested to you already) and it is more reliable than S,M,L - however again it doesn't tell the whole story.
Some prefer for user Stack and Reach to compare bikes. Again - more accurate then the others - but still it leaves a lot to be desired.

While mountain bike fits are less specific to the rider than road - mountain bike purposes have been marketed as more specific.
In another thread we mentioned the XC, Trail, Enduro, etc...
There are geometries considered ideal for each - but you can pretty much to each on any of them, it just makes it harder/easier on the bike you picked.

I own 2 Vassagos. Their website has a size chart you can use for reference.
http://shop.vassagocycles.com/JabberWocky-Frame_p_246.html
Click the "geometry" tab and you will see the list. They go S/M/L
The small is a 16" seat tube. with a 600 top tube.
600 sounds huge in road bike terms, but a flat bar vs road bar is much closer.
For reference, my road bike is a 600 effective TT, my Vassago is a 625. I could ride the 645 if I wanted to, but the wheelbase is longer than I like for tight riding.

They caution this is just for reference.
Rider preference, body type, etc will all determine the correct frame - so just take it as a ballpark guess.
Two people that are the same height, but one with long legs and the other with short legs will most likely prefer different sizes.

--------------
If you are considering buying a bike and this all seems confusing, you are welcome to keep posting or shoot me PMs. I am happy to try and explain it all.

Great info dude thx a lot!

Someone buy this thing before I fall back in love with it!!!
I have ridden it a couple times over the past weeks to and from work. More or less to show it to some 'interested' but not gonna do anything yet coworkers.
I have taken the time to adjust the suspension out a bit and just get the bike sorted. I actually dialed in the fork last week better than I have ever had it dialed... and that is irritating to me!!! I Have four hardtails and I like all of them. This just happens to be the least expensive of the geared ones. SIgh...

I threw my Jones bars back on it today and commuted... I wasn't thrilled with the position, so I tossed a touring stem with significant rise today to try and see if that solves it.
I am already thinking about swapping out the suspension for a steel rigid fork and racks so I can turn all the commuting duties to this bike and let the Fargo go back to just being a fun bike.

I have a cart full of parts I am trying to convince myself I don't need!!!

This was the setup this morning.

s3.jpg

What's the plan now?
Fargo is going on a diet for more off road fun.
The Soma is taking over all commuting duty and about to turn into a Mad Max Machine!
Surly Krampus fork, Surly Front Rack, Surly Rear Rack, & Jones 710 Riser H bars.
It will be a tank! But perfect for grocery runs, commuting, rigid off roading when there is a need to carry "beverages"

Fargo is going on a diet for more off road fun.
The Soma is taking over all commuting duty and about to turn into a Mad Max Machine!
Surly Krampus fork, Surly Front Rack, Surly Rear Rack, & Jones 710 Riser H bars.
It will be a tank! But perfect for grocery runs, commuting, rigid off roading when there is a need to carry "beverages"
Sounds like a good bikepacking rig

Back
Top Bottom