What's new

Help SOLVED! Help finding road bike? Frame size ~52 i.e. CAAD10

jrico

Cruising
Jul 14, 2014
Hi,

If anyone knows where I could find a good second hand road bike I would extremely thankful. I don't mind some wear and tear.

I talked to TCC awhile back, and he pushed for the CAAD10-- I agree, it seems like an awesome bike. I did the BIORACER fitting at Y's road and most of the recommendations would be a size 54. I'm only 172cm, but the reason for the larger frame is that my legs are longer and arms have a shorter reach.

My wish list is the following:
CAAD10: 54 (52 also possible..)
SuperSix Evo: 54

But I'm definitely open to other possibilities.

If you know of anything, please get in touch!

Jesse

Last edited:
Hi Jrico,

My coworker has a 54cm SuperSix Evo (not hi-mod) for sale.
Looks like he wants to sell it complete, with Di2 Ultegra 11spd, but will ask if he can part it out.

Remind me how tall you are, @jrico

172cm, right?

A 54cm Cannondale will be too big. A 52 will be about right, or on the slightly big side.

We have had this conversation before, I know.

TCC, thank you!
If anyone is on the lookout for a sweet 54cm bike, hit me up.

Reactions: TCC
Haha, I hope that isn't annoyance at me saying a 54cm is the wrong size!

For the record, I am on my second Evo and they are excellent bikes, so yeah, if anyone is looking for a top end 54cm frame, the Evo is where it is at.

Maybe ask your friend to list it up on here, so people can check out fully?

I have had a few friends buy used road bikes from this site. They have several branches throughout Japan... They will even ship to your branch of choice to test ride the bike before purchase.

http://www.cycly.co.jp/

Hi TCC,

Yeah we've had this conversation ;) definitely the 52 sounds possible, but finally someone explained it really clearly. Actually, I was helped by a guy from y's in shibuya.. His name is Omiya-San and service was incredible (typically I haven't had the best experiences at y's...). So I agree that they generally put people on bikes a little too big, but the reason he suggested a 54 rather than a 52 is that the seat height to bar differential would be slightly too big on the 52, screwing up the geometry. He actually expanded on the bioracer measurements and wasn't afraid to turn down a sale. Beyond being only 172cm, my legs are long, shorter torso, and shorter reach (atypical). I don't mean to argue but I could tell the guy really knew his stuff, specific to my measurements and each bike (beyond just looking at the catalogues, he took measurements after making the physical adjustments too). It seems like the 54 is optimal, 52 could be great too, 50 may be ridiculous for my body..

Cheers

Haha, I hope that isn't annoyance at me saying a 54cm is the wrong size!

For the record, I am on my second Evo and they are excellent bikes, so yeah, if anyone is looking for a top end 54cm frame, the Evo is where it is at.

Maybe ask your friend to list it up on here, so people can check out fully?

No annoyance there! I hope I'm not being annoying for arguing with that.. it's just that I felt pretty good about with the explanations I was given. And he had more specific information to make the judgment. I also don't mind compromising and going with a 52.

No annoyance there! I hope I'm not being annoying for arguing with that.. it's just that I felt pretty good about with the explanations I was given. And he had more specific information to make the judgment. I also don't mind compromising and going with a 52.

That was aimed at TrekDJ, not you :)

Get whatever size you want, obviously. If you go for a 54cm, you will be slamming your stem AND your seat.

He must have some freaky body measurements. I'm 188cm and the canyon calculator put me on a 58. Feels good too.

I'm 188cm and the same calculator put me on a 62. I think limb lengths can vary in relation to height more than most people suspect.

These two, for example, have the same inseam.
Snap-2014-05-02-at-06.08.24.png

I know I shouldn't, but what the hell. I'll add my experience with the awesome Ys + bioracer fit thingy.

I'm 184-185cm (Also, legs on the longer side) after taking my measurements they insisted on me getting 58 evo frame. I argued that compared to my previous frames a 58 would be too big. And they basically said, "Okay but if you go for a 56 you have to use a 120mm stem or more".... (DUH like one would prefer anything less ;) )
Needles to say I went with a 56 and I'm really happy I didn't go with a 58, I would have been way to big, and even worse, looked terrible!

CAAD10 and Evo has an aggressive race geometry, if you are worried about too much saddle-to-bar drop I would consider looking at the synapse instead. I can't help but to think 172cm person on size 54 would be a strange fit but. If the feels like the right choice, then I'd say go for it! CAAD or Evo is a mighty sweet machine!

I'm 188cm and the same calculator put me on a 62. I think limb lengths can vary in relation to height more than most people suspect.

These two, for example, have the same inseam.
View attachment 10308

I couldn't agree more. I also look nothing like the 'traditional cyclist'.

My height tells me I'm a size 50. My BMI tells me I'm obese yet I ran a 3:21 marathon on little training. My hands are small yet seem to swim okay.

It's hard putting too much faith in simplifications built out of convenience..

I think at this point, the best course of action would be to get yourself down to a bike shop, with someone who knows what they are talking about coming with you (ie, not the sales staff), to give you a second opinion.

Sit on loads of different bikes and see how they feel, and do things like move the stem up and down, and try out longer ones, etc., in the shop, so you can see which size you suit best.

This will also involve trying different sizes of different brands, as they are all slightly different. Once you work out which brand you like (or a selection of brands), you can make a note of which size for each one is going to work best for you, and then take it from there, searching for that size and brand in a second hand offering.

Or you can just buy the one in the shop and be done with it!

My hands are small yet seem to swim okay...

Why on earth didn't you mention this before? With this newfound information, there is no doubt in my mind that a 54 is the right choice for you. Just don't forget to get some waterproof cycling gloves in either S or XS.

Back
Top Bottom