What's new

Help SOLVED! Help finding road bike? Frame size ~52 i.e. CAAD10

Either that, or if your hands are that small, go around stealing bikes from shops to test out then sell, and when you eventually get arrested, just slip out of the handcuffs.

To add to the Bioracer Diaries, I was fitted at Y's Road in Ikebukuro for a Giant Defy. I'm 179cm with an 86cm inseam and the machine came up with a 56 frame being right for me, based largely on my legs being on the long side.

I went with their advice but a 54 frame would have been better. In fact, I now ride a 54 Evo and think it's spot on for me. However, unless you've got Go-Go Gadget arms and legs @jrico, I think 54 would be too big for you.

Reactions: TCC
For the record, I am 177cm with 85cm legs. I am on a 52cm Evo.

Noted. Thanks for all the advice. I did sit on the 54 and it seemed like a proper fit (52 also okay), as well as a couple smaller bikes (madone and ceepo mamba)... Of course buying from a sales person has it's disadvantages, but Omiya-San at Y's Shibuya was incredibly helpful: no way he was just trying to sell a bike, because he talked me out of the ceepo I would have bought then..

But rather than getting purely caught up in what's the right size, does anyone know someone selling a good 52/54 size road bike? It would be pretty easy to tell in person..

Thanks

In your post you said that you are open to other options. I will give you my sizing for the Trek Madone 4.7 - H2 geometry. This probably won't help at all, but... I'm 183cm with a 83 inseam. I'm on a 56. It's a perfect size and feel for me.

Cycly let's you examine and test ride before purchase... They have several insurance options as well.

@jrico What is your budget?

I worry I'm going to be laughed out of here, but I was hoping 150,000 or less for something nice. If I spend much more I worry I'd be afraid of damaging the bike.
Having been previously sold a lemon for more money than I'd like to admit (first cycling experience), to me the person selling the bike is as important as the bike itself..

Good value, someone trustworthy

i.e. that CAAD10 Tom sold would have been awesome..
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/caad10-dura-ace-version-for-150-000-yen.5691/

Last edited:
I worry I'm going to be laughed out of here, but I was hoping 150,000 or less for something nice. If I spend much more I worry I'd be afraid of damaging the bike.
Having been previously sold a lemon for more money than I'd like to admit (first cycling experience), to me the person selling the bike is as important as the bike itself..

Good value, someone trustworthy

i.e. that CAAD10 Tom sold would have been awesome..
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/caad10-dura-ace-version-for-150-000-yen.5691/

150,000yen is totally fine. You can get a brand new CAAD10 for about that much, with 105 gears.

About damaging the bike; all bikes are the same, and get damaged the same, regardless of the price. All bikes should be treated VERY carefully. These are not shopping bikes, they are thin tubed, lightweight racing bikes. 100,000yen or 1,000,000yen, if you lean the top tube against a lamppost and it slides down it, you are going to shag it.

Buying a bike, you should focus on the frame before anything else. Get the best frame for the money, and take whatever parts come with it, as long as they are 105 level or up. Then leave it, or upgrade it.

It is that simple.

And you need a 50 or a 52 if you go for a Cannondale. End of.

Someone got extremely lucky picking up Tom's bike for 150,000. I just checked out the link! Wow! I'm not sure how often a deal like that will come along. I wish you luck though man.

I had a lot of fun finding the right bike for me and at my price point. It took me a few good long months, but it was an enjoyable process. If you don't rush it, you will get what you're looking for...
Keep asking around, searching on the net, and saving your cash... just in case the one you want is slightly above that price point.

Hope it works out for you and let us know how you do.

That crown gear Cannondale looks really good. Don't wait around too long. The best riding season is very nearly upon us. Crown Gears is a well respected shop in Kita Sando, Tokyo. One of my favourite shops to do a spot of window shopping. And Rapha is only a stones throw away.

Reactions: TCC
Yeah seriously.

If you don't buy it, I will. Then I will sell it to you for 149,000yen.

Do you care about the look of the bike? i.e.- lime green... or are you just in it for the quality/components?

Back
Top Bottom