What's new

Solutions for 28.6 seat tube and Campy F. Der.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
The smallest Clamp size for Campy Chorus is a 32mm.
The frame I want to build is a 28.6.

I see two solutions and not sure which is the best option.
Option 1 - I could shim the 32mm clamp and it would work perfectly.
Option 2 - I could buy a 28.6 Braze on adapter and use a braze on derailleur.

Both would work fine in my opinion and I seemingly have no preference in either method. Does anyone have a legit gripe with either or an experience that worked great/not so great?

I am pretty sure i know what I want. I emailed with Tim last week and he gave me some alternatives to look into. I am looking to build it once and build it right approach.

This is the intended frame.
SomaSmoothieSS

Get the fdb front mech (braze on) and a 28.6mm clamp (Problem Solvers or similar). Works perfect and gives you plenty of adjustment options and you can also mount a chain catcher.

A bit surprised to know Campy doesn't make FD clamp size below 32mm anymore (although understandable).

Assuming you are trying to build with current 11s Gruppo, would it be true that a previous years model FD (whether 8/9/10s, QS or otherwise) will suffer from compatibility/performance issues? Sorry if you already know the answer and already ruled out this option.

Nice frame, make the SS mean single speed and forget about ST diameters.

The SS in this case is for 'Stainless Steel'

A bit surprised to know Campy doesn't make FD clamp size below 32mm anymore (although understandable).

Assuming you are trying to build with current 11s Gruppo, would it be true that a previous years model FD (whether 8/9/10s, QS or otherwise) will suffer from compatibility/performance issues? Sorry if you already know the answer and already ruled out this option.

I do not know the answer to this. However I am looking at purchasing a full group - for a decent discount over piece by piece.

You can use shimano shims ;)

That's a really nice-looking frame.

What's the price - do you know?

soma_smoothie_ss_sttube_cluster700-370x300.jpg

I couldn't find a price on the site but they say in the FAQ:

It costs as much as some bargain titanium frames.

I have emailed a couple guys I know that that work there asking about both price and availability. The site claims maybe 100 per year to be built. We will see what they say.

After I order mine I will let you know ;)

They are making a cross version with the same tubing. But Disc Specific.

soma_triplecross_1_700.jpg

Personally I would opt for a bracket. There are some pretty nice 28.6mm designs out in the market and you would have the option to use the complete group with the front derailleur on another frame at a later time; chances that modern frames are equipped with a braze on bracket are rather high.

I once tried to fix a 31mm clamp with the help of shims on a 28.6mm seat post and the result was less than optimal. Easy to make scratches and if you don't do it right the cable pulls the front derailleur down.

But this might also happened due to my insufficient mechanical skills.

I can get it for $1550 - so it seems retail is probably on par with the triple cross.
I am considering this price puts me in the custom range - so I at a cross roads.

Buy the off the shelf frame that is a geometry I know I like or get the custom frame built just for me -
There are trade offs - and that is what I am weighing now. I just posted here to mention I finally did hear the price.

Back
Top Bottom