What's new

So I am looking for a new bike....

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
Budget absolutely no more than 8man.

Commuting round town, I happen to prefer aluminium frames, and having disc brakes would be a dream come true, for the rainy season. I don't particularly want a mountain bike. Something rigid.

If only Boardman sold their bikes over here

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_team.html

I had eyed up the Giant Defy 3, if only for the supposed 'more relaxed riding position'.

Ideas/suggestions?

Budget absolutely no more than 8man.

Commuting round town, I happen to prefer aluminium frames, and having disc brakes would be a dream come true, for the rainy season. I don't particularly want a mountain bike. Something rigid.

If only Boardman sold their bikes over here

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_team.html

I had eyed up the Giant Defy 3, if only for the supposed 'more relaxed riding position'.

Ideas/suggestions?

Wow, that is one nice bike!

CD, if you want, you can come by and take a spin on my Charge Mixer 8 (sorry I could not offer it to you the other day it was WIP, as I see the same bike on at Wiggle for just a bit over your budget.....

>> 2010 Charge Mixer 8 <<

I won't even make you tow the trailer :D

Looking here.......

http://www.bikesdirect.com/ship_info.html

.... it says YELLOW REGIONS - (Shipping is temporarily suspended to these areas)

I guess you cannot get it shipped directly to Japan from them. I wonder how Wiggle does it for just 12,500 yen to your door....?

Huh, they say they do not ship even to APOs...?

They do suggest myus.com freight forwarder, they use a formula for larger items, like a bike....

Dimensional Weight is calculated by multiplying the Length by Width by Height and dividing the total by a "DIM Factor." MyUS.com's DIM Factor is 300. So, our formula is:
Dimensional Weight (pounds) = Length x Width x Height (inches) divided by 300

They say a bike box is 54x8x30 which is 12960 divided by 300 is 43.2 which they compute works out to about $180 for shipping or about 15,000 yen.

Total for the bike Tim showed is $1075, which is about 88,000 yen,delivered..... wow, that is some deal!

ill sell you my giant escape rx3 for 4man5thou
its stiff fast and great for round town. no disc brakes though. only had it 2 months. only really ride my road bike now so dont need it anymore.

giant_rx3_rd.jpg

its an S (46 frame) but my road bike is a 50 and the giant fits me equally as good as the road does.

send me a mail if your interested. you could put the other 35thousand yen towards disc brakes and then some.

ill sell you my giant escape rx3 for 4man5thou
its stiff fast and great for round town. no disc brakes though. only had it 2 months. only really ride my road bike now so dont need it anymore.

giant_rx3_rd.jpg

its an S (46 frame) but my road bike is a 50 and the giant fits me equally as good as the road does.

send me a mail if your interested. you could put the other 35thousand yen towards disc brakes and then some.

not sure about the fit, then again, my current bike seems to have a small frame & I did ok putting a longer seatpost in. Choice choices...

Im 5ft 7 and it fits me fine (seat post is pretty low and has plenty mor extension left. my crotch is just above the cross bar when i stand

I agree......shame we seem to be in the wrong country.

looking at a month old Cannondale BadBoy disc, frame size M apparently, if I put a longer seatpost in, what other fit issues do I have?

Generally none. The higher seatpost will pull your shoulders back. How tall are you? If you are over 6 ft then I would look at bigger.

I'm thinking to just ship it to my dad. Then he can EMS it here for $100.

CD is about 6'2" tall :eek:

he was in serious danger of gashing his head open on low hanging stuff in my Dungeon workshop..... I'm only 6' tall :D

CD, I really think you should get a larger frame, the bike will be much better for you with the right sized frame instead of fooling around with all kinds of stuff to get the small frame to fit you.

Is the epoxy on the BB still holding out?

I'm thinking of other ways we could secure them cups in there, just thinking to make what you have last a little longer so you get the bike you want/need instead of having to settle for the bike that is there if the one you have now goes belly up.

Cheers!

Stu

Everything BB-related seems rock solid, I was thinking about some kind of pins, but you'd be the mechanical judge of that. Will go check out this cannondale with my 400mm seatpost, see how it feels.

Back
Top Bottom