What's new

Tech Smoove

Justin

Maximum Pace
Nov 12, 2016
I’m not sure if this is really a “tech“ question, but I’m wondering if anyone here has recently bought Smoove chain lube, and if so, where they got it. It seems as difficult as ever to source it in Japan, and overseas places that have it won't ship it here.

C’mon, cough up: where’s the secret stash?

Justin

Maximum Pace
Nov 12, 2016
Cheers. Have you ordered through them, and if so, how long did it take?

jonmanjiro

Maximum Pace
Dec 29, 2019
Yep. Ordered two bottles of Smoove and a few other things, and the order arrived in about 5 days. I'm still finishing off another lube so I've yet to try Smoove though.

jonmanjiro

Maximum Pace
Dec 29, 2019
This was a couple of months ago. They use DHL so shipping is fast. Just be careful of the excessive import duties DHL Japan charges when the value is over 10,000 yen. I didn't get charged any import duties for the Smoove order but did for another order (which was clothing only) that amounted to about 18% of the total value :mad:

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
My fellow-rider up Ōtōge yesterday never seems to have any problem with the drivetrain of either of the two bikes he regularly rides, and the drivetrain always looks clean -- at least until we pick up muck from a rindō (though yesterday it was sparkling even at the top of Ōtōge). So yesterday I asked him about lubrication.

He cleans the drivetrain after every (non-trivial) ride, and always uses the cheapest oil that he can find.

An approach that might be worth consideration.

Musashi13

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
There are numerous podcasts with interviews and the like with the guy behind Zero Friction Cycling or Friction Fact's Jason Smith explaining that it isn't just drivetrain efficiency or cleaning but the longevity of your components that is at risk if you use inferior or non-bike specific rebranded lubes.

CyclingTips Nerd Alert podcast or Silca's Marginal Gains, to name a couple.

They profess to be independent in their advice and the information they give, trusting them is up to you but anecdotal evidence from the guy on a group ride doesn't hold a candle to the professionals

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
@Musashi13 , you're right not to take anecdotal evidence seriously. I merely offered it as food for thought.

Zero Friction Cycling sells stuff. Cycling Tips asks me either to "sign in" or to "become a member"; no more. Friction Facts sells stuff. Oh -- while googling for Friction Facts I did arrive at this page within Cycling Tips, which tells me "If you're one that likes your bike running like a finely tuned machine, you'll likely already know that chains often need to be replaced as often as your rear tyre." I do indeed like it running that way, and it usually does; but even though my rear tyre (Gravelking 28mm) is at least averagely durable, it has perhaps a quarter of the lifespan of my chain. It may be that I'm torturing my tyres, but conceivably my half-hearted and sporadic cleaning of my chain (transforming it from black to grey) and application of Finish Line Wet is about all that my chain needs. (If this is indeed true, another factor in the longevity of my chains may of course be my low wattage.)

A year or two back, there was minor commotion over (non-commercial) research indicating that a chain running in a clean environment needed no lubrication. (Now that I look for it, I can't find it. I wish I could recall the author's name.) Of course we don't ride through clean environments, and even if the research was sound we need a lubricant as a sealant, to stop the crap from getting in. Different lubricants are sure to congeal and to absorb/retain crap in different ways.

Justin

Maximum Pace
Nov 12, 2016
This was a couple of months ago. They use DHL so shipping is fast. Just be careful of the excessive import duties DHL Japan charges when the value is over 10,000 yen. I didn't get charged any import duties for the Smoove order but did for another order (which was clothing only) that amounted to about 18% of the total value :mad:
Thanks again for the tip. I put in an order on Monday. The package arrived on Wednesday. Two days for an international delivery during a pandemic has to be some kind of record.

Top Bottom