What's new

Smartphone Sweat & Rain Protection?

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
How are people protecting their smartphones from sweat and rain while cycling? Owen, for example, is using an inelegant but pragmatic solution of wrapping his phone in Saran Wrap. I'm open to hearing everyone's suggestions, but given that I want to be able to take photos unobscured from time to time, I think I need some sort of pouch that I can easily take the phone out of for those occasions.

I used to use cling film like Owen but it was a hassle when trying to actually use my phone. Now I use cheap ziploc type bags. I bought some from the supermarket (ziploc brand) but they were pretty thin and prone to ripping. I found some thicker ones at a home centre and also at Tokyu hands. They are around ¥128 for 15 if I remember rightly. They are much more robust than the supermarket ones.

Ziploc bag - done.

inelegant

14_how_dare_you_block_protest.jpg

Ziploc bag - done.

Can you still use the touch screen through the bag or do you need to take it out?

The bags I use allow me to opperate the phone through the bag - no idea of the brand, the wife buys them.

They also have the double lock zips for extra protection.

I use those 100y store zip pouches. They are reasonably moisture proof, and you usually need to remove the device to take pictures or FB or whatever. But yeah - any ziplock or other PV type of pouch. I used clingwrap for the computers - but still have issues with them failing. I really wish mfg's of sporting gear would make them a little more moisture resistant. I have a Casio feature phone that is supposed to be good for nearly any conditions. I7ve had it replaced 3x now (under warranty) - and had to complain to Softbank alot to 'allow' the warranty as they said it was due 'moisture damage' - which is EXACTLY the feature protection they sold it to me in the first place!! On the other hand. I never have an issue when I ride without any electronics gear.... just saying.

Best take your S3 back and get one of those wind-up phones then, Pete. You will save a fortune on 100yen plastic bags.

Thank God you can kick back at the end of the day, switch everything off, pour yourself a drink, flop down in your favourite old leather chair, and chew the fat about how everything was better before all this electronic nonsense, on your quad-core open source OS laptop connecting to your hikari fibre optical internet connection over wifi, with anybody in the world at the press of a button.

I use those 100y store zip pouches. They are reasonably moisture proof, and you usually need to remove the device to take pictures or FB or whatever. But yeah - any ziplock or other PV type of pouch. I used clingwrap for the computers - but still have issues with them failing. I really wish mfg's of sporting gear would make them a little more moisture resistant. I have a Casio feature phone that is supposed to be good for nearly any conditions. I7ve had it replaced 3x now (under warranty) - and had to complain to Softbank alot to 'allow' the warranty as they said it was due 'moisture damage' - which is EXACTLY the feature protection they sold it to me in the first place!! On the other hand. I never have an issue when I ride without any electronics gear.... just saying.

Tim - I haven't had an issue with moister damage to the Garmin's since I got them off the stem and out front. For some reason mounting them on the stem caused issues for me.

I previously used a ziploc bag from the 100 yen shop but I now use a LOKSAK bag. (http://www.loksak.com/about-loksak)
They claim to be "the only resealable and completely waterproof, dust proof and humidity proof storage bags on the consumer market", certified to be waterproof to 60m and tested and approved by the US Navy etc.
Anyway, its a fancy ziploc bag that allows you to operate the phone through the bag. Fits the iPhone 5 nicely.
loksak-iphone-174x300.png

I previously used a ziploc bag from the 100 yen shop but I now use a LOKSAK bag. (http://www.loksak.com/about-loksak)
They claim to be "the only resealable and completely waterproof, dust proof and humidity proof storage bags on the consumer market", certified to be waterproof to 60m and tested and approved by the US Navy etc.
Anyway, its a fancy ziploc bag that allows you to operate the phone through the bag. Fits the iPhone 5 nicely.
loksak-iphone-174x300.png

I was actually just looking at that product earlier today. I'm using a Galaxy S III, BTW. So you are happy with it then?

Actually I'm finding it more and more annoying when riders are texting, FB'ng, posting, Straving,frantically looking for chargers, etc on the road and rides. Being able to carrying along reliable, environmental resistant devices is the topic, no? And when the devices do not function under the generally assumed operating conditions it's as big a hassle as not having them at all.

@FE - I've got my Garmin mounted out front - but haven't experienced any inclement weather yet. Will be interested to see if that helps. Maybe the wheel splash has something to do with it??? My Saris Joule is really sensitive to water intrusion. Definitely a design flaw with that one.

On our jerseys I designed a special pocket w/barrier liner to somewhat limit the intrusion of moisture (sweat and water). I'm anxious to see how this works.

The PU Loksaks look great! The only downside of the PU bags for me is simply that I prefer a feature phone (flip open) , so I'd need to remove the phone from the bag for use. Which is why I <thought> I'd gotten a phone that water resistant to begin with.But, having a LOKSAK or similar type of bag to wrap the computer (while on the mount) might be a good idea.

@Owen - I use an eee900 by Asus, actually. Not 4 core, but 2 core Atom. Some happy camper is probably using it right now in Taiwan, having nicked it from me while I was crashed out on the TSHR. Oh , yeah, FreeBSD all the way, baby!

So you can either go the "I live under a bridge" route and use a plastic bag or plastic wrap or you can do it properly;)

I use a Lifeproof case that is 100% waterproof, military grade shock resistant, yet only adds 1.5mm of thickness to your new phone; my new routine is throw the phone in the radio pocket of my bibs, take the phone into the shower to listen to some tunes, and if its gets dropped along the way who cares.

Back
Top Bottom