What's new

Help Skipping Chain

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I recently took my powermeter crank off to send back for repairs (SRAM) and put back my old Shimano Ultegra crank back on. My chain is about 1 month old and today it started horribly slipping as soon as I was out of the saddle.

Is there anything I can do to help the chain bed properly to this crank. I assume that is the problem.

I cannot imagine doing a decent run anywhere with it like it is (basically un-ridable out of the saddle on the 53 ring)

From Shimano's manual;
"In order to obtain good gear shifting performance, the CN-7900 / CN-6700 has a forward side and a reverse side, and the sides are marked so that the CN-7900 / CN-6700 will face the correct way when installed."

From Shimano's manual;
"In order to obtain good gear shifting performance, the CN-7900 / CN-6700 has a forward side and a reverse side, and the sides are marked so that the CN-7900 / CN-6700 will face the correct way when installed."

LOL - when I read that I thought "There is absolutely no way in hell that anyone would openly admit on a public forum that this was the cause of a skipping chain. "

How 'old' or well-used is your old Ultegra crank, I wonder?

chainring.jpg

If that looks similar/familiar, also check for this...

jockey.jpg

[fits anti-bruxism shield and takes happy pills]

Wow! Kawa showing just how a customer support pro does it!

The crank isn't that old. And was working fine when it was last on. I'll check out the chain tomorrow morning and make sure it doesnt have any stiff links..

Ok then, what do you think is the possible cause? That needs to be complicated enough for theBlob to admit.

Even IF the shimano chain was flipped, it wont cause skipping like you are describing. Shifting issues yes, skipping while giving it power, no.
Set the bike up on the trainer, shift into the big ring and middle of the cassette....then have someone put some power on the pedals. If you see the chain rise up away from the chainring, like the above photo, then its time for new chainrings. and propably a new chain.

One more question. Do you cross chain (ride big/big) a lot? Doing so will speed up chainring wear, not to mention the extra stress it puts on your drivetrain/RD. Unfortunately cross chaining is epidemic in Japan....shops dont seem to mention that its a bad thing. Was at some CX and MTB races last year and couldnt believe how many snapped RD's I saw.

Well, as expected the chain is fine, the chain ring is showing a bit of wear. I might head to Y's and try and spend some money today. I need it right for this weekends staughterfest.

Does chain slippage occur only in case you run on the 53 chain ring or on both frnt rings? Perhaps it is just the adjustment of the rear derailleur alone or in combination with a bended rear derailleur adaptor?

Back
Top Bottom