What's new

Single speed shops

Joe Gaughwin

Warming-Up
Mar 24, 2014
Hey everyone

I'm brand new here in Tokyo and also on this forum. I left my single speed in Singapore and was hoping someone can point me in the best direction to buy one in Tokyo. Any help would be terrific.

Thanks in advance

Joe

pretty much any shop will be able to get you one, what were you after SS or fixie? Cross bike. MTB or road?
What size frame are you after and budget?
Oh welcome to TCC.

Single speed road bike. I had a surly steamroller before. I can remember the frame size but I am 180cm. Price would be from 60,000 to 80,000 I think although a bit more is ok also. It's my daily rider to and from work. I have also heard that bikes often get stolen in Tokyo. True?

I would say bike theft is not a serious problem. Sure, I wouldn't leave an expensive TT bike with high end wheels parked at night in Roppongi, but I'm sure I'd be much more worried about theft in most international large cities. By and large Tokyo is a safe place if you're reasonably cautious and don't leave your bike unlocked.

Probably the vast majority of bike thefts involve "mamachari" (cheap shopping bikes) nicked by people too lazy to walk home from the station late at night. At least that's what the police tend to be looking for on random stops.

Hi Joe! There are a lot of cycle shops in Tokyo including many that focus on fixies/single speed and you might want to choose a place nearby. One I use a lot and like is Blue Lug which is close to where I work. They have a pretty detailed web page so you see the range and prices easily, too. I haven't tried transactions in English there but the staff are really helpful. Also, you should check out GS Astuto as they seemed to be great at setting me up with things I needed even before they opened the new shop and all English speaking! C-Speed in Kawasaki(?) has been mentioned a lot here but I have never been there.

Quicksilver that's brilliant. Gives me a great start and blue lug seems cool so will check it out. Typically will the shop owners move on price? Thanks again.

I have a beautiful Radius (Ravenello works) RF frame in stock. I can make something like this for you. and probably close to budget.

GS you have to forgive me. I am a golf pro and know nothing about bikes except how to ride them and what I like the look of. Do you have complete as bikes or do you make them from scratch? Are you able to order specific bikes for customers?

@Joe - pic of the Radius attached. I usually assemble from from local sourced mfgs and distributors. In addition we're a custom wheelbuilder so we have alot of parts associated with that. I have quite a bit of fixed gear components and for lower budget, but good performance, we have some nice cranksets, hubs , bars and other group parts. Depending the bike, we may or not be able to order it.

Radius_DSC_0630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom