What's new

Help Single-gear bike recommendations?

kickFlip

Warming-Up
May 9, 2011
Hello,

In the past few months, I have been using the Tokyo Cycle BBS to learn more about cycling. Thank-you to all the active members! Your information is helping more people than you might know about.

I've been living in Tokyo with my wife for the past year and think it's a great city. However, as soon as I started riding a bike to work, the city has become much more interesting. I'm really enjoying cycling in Tokyo.

I'd like to keep the momentum of this enthusiasm going and am wanting to purchase a single-gear road bike. However, as a real beginner, I am not fully informed on much of the technical details on purchasing a bike of this type. I am currently riding a (gasp) mama-charrie, so you can probably see my level of cycling knowledge and why I would like to upgrade.

Before making the decision to buy a single-gear bike, I've been training myself on my rides to/from work to only utilize 5th gear. At this gearing, the charrie would be at 42/16. At first it was a bit tough, as there is a huge hill that I must navigate on my way back home, but now, my body is used to it.

I've been eyeballing a couple of road bikes, namely the Fuji Feather and the Specialized Langster. However, they are both totally sold-out! Too bad, because they were just in my 80,000Y price-range.

I've also visited a small, local shop who specializes in single/fixed gear bikes, and they quoted me that their "cheapest" model would run me 130,000Y. Although a beautiful bike, I just don't have that kind of cash to burn on a bike right now.

So, I extend the question to you: what single-gear bike would you recommend that is in my 80,000Y price-range (preferably under)? Where would I be able to secure one of these steeds?

Thank-you very much for any help!

GSAstuto, thank-you for your reply.

I'm looking for free-wheel with a flip-flop to fixed. I didn't mention it in my initial post, as I was under the impression that a flip-flop is pretty standard for single-gear units.

And thanks for the shop suggestions. I actually have gone to Y's (in Shinjuku) a few times and checked the stock of the Feather and Langster. They could not source either one from their distributors. I also got my wife to call some other shops that deal in Fuji and Specialized and, apparently, they are near impossible to find right now. Apparently, Specialized is releasing a new version of the Langster in July, which explains the shortage right now. I, unfortunately, cannot wait until July.

Easy to find a ton of SS bikes under 8man. Especially if you're not looking for something smarmy hipster or NJS.

I'm not looking for something colorful (is that what you mean by hipster?), but I am looking for something that looks clean. And, no, I by no means am I looking for anything of the level of NJS units.

EDIT: Hey, that shop.bicycle-w.com site that you linked to is pretty awesome! Thanks, GSAstuto.

GSAstuto, thank-you for your reply.

I'm looking for free-wheel with a flip-flop to fixed. I didn't mention it in my initial post, as I was under the impression that a flip-flop is pretty standard for single-gear units.

And thanks for the shop suggestions. I actually have gone to Y's (in Shinjuku) a few times and checked the stock of the Feather and Langster. They could not source either one from their distributors. I also got my wife to call some other shops that deal in Fuji and Specialized and, apparently, they are near impossible to find right now. Apparently, Specialized is releasing a new version of the Langster in July, which explains the shortage right now. I, unfortunately, cannot wait until July.

I'm not looking for something colorful (is that what you mean by hipster?), but I am looking for something that looks clean. And, no, I by no means am I looking for anything of the level of NJS units.

EDIT: Hey, that shop.bicycle-w.com site that you linked to is pretty awesome! Thanks, GSAstuto.

If you can fit on a 54 or 52cm Langster you can pick on up at Y's road at the Tamagawa river for just 48 000yen.

Just for the record, it seems Fuji is having issues with its distribution networks.

C-Speed in Yokohama may be able to help.... the Feather was very popular so this could be one of the reasons.

Sweet little Seraph at Shinjuku Outdoor Space. I often snag some tasty deals from this guy.

picture.php

Thank-you, FarEast and GSAstuto!

Talk about a clean-looking ride, GSAstuto! I'll have to make some time to check out that white bike this weekend.

Does that tag say 58,000 or 68,000? In any case it's well within my budget.

It's on Meji Dori intersection to Shokan Dori. I think nearest station is the Futukoshin line - something Shinjuku. Very small shop. Oh, yeah saw some bargains in Cycly as well - pretty rare to come across anything in there worth buying.... And, hmm another site had a Seraph Road frame for 17,000 yen - actually this is just the same Seraph track bike, but they put a Derailler Saver on the drops and built up as a road frame.

Anyway - if you guys just get the same generic frameset as Stu - I can help you with the rest of the 'set', based on darn good Novatec based wheels, etc. I reckon still comes in under 70,000 with good quality components (Sugino, Novatec, H+Son, Nitto, etc) Maybe I should post that up on the classifieds as well...

I tried to find this shop today, didnt find it. Could you tell where or how t ofind it ?

Ok, will go tomorrow again to look that shop.
Yeah, Cycly seems to be quite pricey place. Been wondering how they plan to sell that BMW gangsta frame for 158K...
Seraph for 17k, where ?

It's on Meji Dori intersection to Shokan Dori. I think nearest station is the Futukoshin line - something Shinjuku. Very small shop. Oh, yeah saw some bargains in Cycly as well - pretty rare to come across anything in there worth buying.... And, hmm another site had a Seraph Road frame for 17,000 yen - actually this is just the same Seraph track bike, but they put a Derailler Saver on the drops and built up as a road frame.

Anyway - if you guys just get the same generic frameset as Stu - I can help you with the rest of the 'set', based on darn good Novatec based wheels, etc. I reckon still comes in under 70,000 with good quality components (Sugino, Novatec, H+Son, Nitto, etc) Maybe I should post that up on the classifieds as well...

hey Tim, is that the place right near the corner with the McDonalds? Right next to Bambiyan and Royal Host? That is right down the hill from my place. If so the closest station is on the Ooedo line, Higashi Shinjuku, use exit A2, at the top of the stairs turn to your right, walk about 15 meters and you will be at the intersection of Meji Dori and Shokuan Dori, turn to your right and walk about 15 more meters, it is a small shop, lots of bikes outside and the sign is blue.

Yep -that's it. They oftentimes have sweet new rides there. Known mainly for their MTB expertise (and good selection of Kona's) - but for a small shop, they generally stock all the right things.

Back
Top Bottom