What's new

silicone allergy???

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
I admit it may partly be my fault in purchasing these cheap and cheerful bibshorts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-airstream-bibshorts/

but, what other leg gripper method is used in higher priced shorts?

I'm assuming it's a silicone allergy or possibly latex. on hot days my thighs come out in a rash as though I had fallen into a large clump of nettles. exactly in the region of where the silicone bands on the legs, sit. not in the slightest painful, just looks weird

and yes, I am aware of the comedy potential of this post.

what's the solution? talc? ignore?

ZSurprisingly Silicone has no reactive components to humans. Or so 'they say'. But , many clothing prdts that use silicone also combine with other materials (like latex) and you may be experiencing allergy to that. An easy way to check is simply roll up your shorts so the gripper is on the OUTSIDE, then go for a ride. This way you can isolate if the gripper itself is causing the issue.

If you have an allergy to the gripper, nothing is going to 'fix it' aside from not letting it contact your skin. Though you might get some temporary relief by using a zinc based cream.

Last tip - try washing thoroughly the grip area with a mild detergent (hypoallergenic) as sometimes it's the mold release agent you are allergic to - and it just may not be washed out of the gripper.

This is a pretty big deal, and it's somewhat expensive to get pure silicone grippers, about$2/bib short, actually. So, don't count on many low cost bibs using pure silicone grippers. Most are a latex blend.

I admit it may partly be my fault in purchasing these cheap and cheerful bibshorts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-airstream-bibshorts/

but, what other leg gripper method is used in higher priced shorts?

I'm assuming it's a silicone allergy or possibly latex. on hot days my thighs come out in a rash as though I had fallen into a large clump of nettles. exactly in the region of where the silicone bands on the legs, sit. not in the slightest painful, just looks weird

and yes, I am aware of the comedy potential of this post.

what's the solution? talc? ignore?

Back
Top Bottom