What's new

Shoes

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
How do you decide which bike shoes youa re going to buy?

Are there any considerations besides cost? It seems some come with molded footbeds... that sounds good...

Anyway I'm sure there is a lot I have never considered or maybe not... Feel free to enlighten me with how you made your choice?

Well, I tried loads on and got the ones that felt the best.

I have couple of pairs of Mavics, which are nice.

Things to consider would be weight, how they fit you, what other people have fed back about that model, if they are for summer / winter, etc.

Shimano are doing these custom fit shoes now (think Yamabushi has some?)

I like shoes with what I'd call a big box up front--lots of room. Reason being, I'd like to be able to wear big winter socks (or socks and a liner) without being cramped. Or that and a 'kairo' without any trouble.

Of course, the folks who want a tight-fitting, efficient shoe with a specialized insole won't like this.

your mileage may vary.

The only thing you should worry about is "Do they fit me properly"

Shimano are doing these custom fit shoes now (think Yamabushi has some?)

Yep, I'm on my 2nd pair of Shimano Custom-Fit shoes and love them. My current ones are their top of the line SH-R315. They aren't cheap but IMHO, they're worth it. That being said...

The only thing you should worry about is "Do they fit me properly"

Fit is by far the most important thing! 2nd to that would be that they are sufficiently stiff for the level of performance that you are looking for. I'd recommend trying lots of shoes. You'll likely know when you get the one that fits just right!

I suppose above a certain level, they all pretty much do the same thing, and the soles are all mega-stiff.

I suppose above a certain level, they all pretty much do the same thing, and the soles are all mega-stiff.

Generally speaking I'd agree with you, but the bottom of the range shoes can be a bit more flexible when hammering on them. I've experienced foot pain after the fact from riding too vigorously with shoes with too much flexibility. If you aren't really pushing then less flexible is just fine. YMMV.

WRONG!

NO. NO. NO!
The most important criteria for choosing shoes or any other cycling wear is and always will be:
LOOKING COOL!:cool:

So you should probably be looking for white ones, however, I hear that day glow is becoming popular.

hmm, interesting, although the whole point of cycling shoe is to hold the foot in place while reducing the maximum amount of flex while trying to maintain an amount of comfort.

I have messed up toes as when I was about 16 and road racing the rule of thumb was to try and cram your foot in to the smallest shoe you could and then clamp/strap it down as tight as possible for the TT's to get maximum power transfer.

However now they understand how the power transfer works in the foot they have developed shoes and systems to give max power transfer - a knit shoe as shown in the link would be too flexible, however there are brands out there that will make you a custom shoe based on your foot shape.

But to be honest the higher up the price range you go the more half/quarter sizes there are and numerous systems to customise the fit to almost perfection!

I think for me, the sweet spot with shoes is the Mavic Avenir.

They are perfectly stiff, light and look nice, whilst also not being too expensive to worry about shagging them.

I also have some more expensive Mavics and a set of Shimano MTB shoes, but the Avenirs seem to be the sweet spot between all the requirements.

Obviously just my opinion, and other people might hate them, but they work for me. Would buy again for sure.

I did the rounds this morning, tried on a few shimanos but they don't fit me so well, ended up buying the sidi e scarpe ergo 3 that have the sole flattened to suit the speedplay clip ons. All the sidis were very comfortable and these ones were designed to be especially used with these pedals. So I will see how they go... I have used sidi boots for years motorcycling and have found them a good maker generally speaking.

zoom_75709387_sidi_cyclingshoes_ergo3sp_vernicewhite.jpg

yes YES YES!!!!!

Congrats, what I learned is that SIDI shoes are good for small (Italian??) feet, Shimano is wide and Mavic is in the middle.

Malte you are aware that they make a W - Fit for people with wider feet.

Back
Top Bottom