What's new

Ride Shiraishi, Nihongi & Beyond

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
At Darragh's request, we'll be starting with an assault on Shiraishi-toge before moving on to a backside climb of the Nihongi-toge ridge line. From there we'll have a very technical descent, to be followed by another climb and ridge line run finally descending to Honjo Station.

Unfortunately the weather forecast is looking a bit dodgy for Saturday, but hopefully, we'll be OK. Stay tuned for updates.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1800-2100m
Distance: 125-135km
Route: HERE

Hope to see you Saturday morning!

I did this Shiraishi ascent last week when I couldn't find you guys - it's brutally exposed to the sun, so make sure you take enough fluids. Luckily, there's a nice guy at the top selling drinks for same price as vending machines, 150yen.

I'm probably in from around 55km mark, then head south from the top of Shiraishi to hit Shomaru-toge again (on the verge of cracking the top 10, there). I'll meet you at the Family Mart on the junction where I mistakenly waited a very long time, last week..?

I did this Shiraishi ascent last week when I couldn't find you guys - it's brutally exposed to the sun, so make sure you take enough fluids. Luckily, there's a nice guy at the top selling drinks for same price as vending machines, 150yen.

I'm probably in from around 55km mark, then head south from the top of Shiraishi to hit Shomaru-toge again (on the verge of cracking the top 10, there). I'll meet you at the Family Mart on the junction where I mistakenly waited a very long time, last week..?
We normally don't actually stop there. We usual make a short pit stop at THIS location at the bottom of Shiraishi. HERE.

Hey Pete,
Unfortunately I have to go to a works event later in the afternoon but I think I can squeeze a little bit of riding time in. I was thinking of swinign a right at the 70km point and heading back down to Ogawamachi (a small ride is better than no ride huh ;) )

Hey Pete,
Unfortunately I have to go to a works event later in the afternoon but I think I can squeeze a little bit of riding time in. I was thinking of swinign a right at the 70km point and heading back down to Ogawamachi (a small ride is better than no ride huh ;) )
Sounds like a plan! Approved! :D

Sorry for the late reply, but I am going to join tomorrow, see you at the Family Mart.

And I couldn't suppress a smile upon having been given advice on ascending Shiraishi :)

Sorry for the late reply, but I am going to join tomorrow, see you at the Family Mart.

And I couldn't suppress a smile upon having been given advice on ascending Shiraishi :)
Great! Weather permitting, see you in the morning! And.... who tried to tell you how to climb Shiraishi?

Hey, I've decided to opt out this time. Gonna head south, instead.
Hope to join you again soon..!

Thanks to everyone who rode today. Sorry I couldn't stay very long. I had a very hot ride home. The sun was pretty strong. The route home was pretty much constantly in the sun so I got some nice tan lines. I should have got some more food actually as I only had one clif bar for the 75km return. Ran out of water in the last 15km but decided to crack on. Felt pretty weak by the time I got home. Only 147km in total today but more as I was only planning to riding up to Ogawamachi then get the train back, it was more than I had expected. Thanks again to Pete for leading the ride.

Back
Top Bottom