What's new

Shiraishi Kotei?

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Anyone up for a Shiraishi Toge run this Sat? I'm thinking about doing this kotei, so would prefer other kotei riders as well. This is a nice ride for fixed especially for the longish slope and then the Shiraishi climb itself. Also, quite a few Keirin / Uni Track riders would be doing the same. If you are prepping for hill climb, nothing can beat 150km on a fixed gear including the climb itself!

Hi Tim, yet another fun ride with hard criteria! Or should I put it "hard ride with fun criteria"??? (btw, I was also interested in your L'eroica ride, but my steel bike seemed 'too modern' to qualify)

My kotei has 49x18 gears which seems optimal for my flat commuting. I've never been to any real hill with this setup, but I am very concerned that I might easily destroy my knees if I climbed Shiroishi with this gear ratio. Wish my legs were as tough as yours or Patrick's.

We just flip flop if you have this kind of hub. You just need to get something below 60" ... like a 49/22 or 23. But somewhat depends on the length of dropout. I ride a 48 /22 and 48 / 17 usually. Or 44 /17 44 /22 . Not sure what Patrick is riding - his crank allows smaller chainring. Your knees will be fine! Knee pain generally results fom excessive side motion of the legs, not riding with more effort unless you are not trained (and you are). Like, I wouldn't suggest this ride for someone just jumping on a fixed gear (or any bike) without having a decent base conditioning behind them.

don't give me more credit than I deserve! I can't get up anything tougher than the east side of odarumi in my transit gear. I use a 41t chainring with a 13t transit cog and 18t climbing cog. I want to use a 19t cog for climbing but specked my rear triangle a little too tight and the 19t won't fit until I can get a dimple put in the seat tube.

I also use a third "hiking" gear when my heart rate gets up over 170 for extended periods on climbs. I like to keep moving even if I can do it on the bike.

eugen, doesn't you fixed gear have vertical dropouts? that makes wheel flips tough.

I'd love to join this ride but will be watching the childrens this Saturday.

I forgot - might be heading to Gunma this weekend for a recon... will update tomorrow. If so- lets put this on the raincheck list. But so far, at least 1x /month I'm doing a significant kotei ride and a old school steelbike ride. So, you can take your pick (or both).

I would love to join, but I have a work meeting Saturday morning. I have been really itching to venture out to some small/easy climbs with my fixed gear, but I have not had a chance yet. Could you post a link to the route?

I would love to join, but I have a work meeting Saturday morning. I have been really itching to venture out to some small/easy climbs with my fixed gear, but I have not had a chance yet. Could you post a link to the route?

I guess it's all perspective, but I personally wouldn't call Shiraishi-toge an easy, small climb. It's 6.5k with an 8.5% average grade.

Sorry, wrong choice of wording. Basically meant something relatively rideable on a fixed gear with decent gearing.

I follow Pete's route - look at the posts related to the Ghost Town and you'll find it there. I just turn around at top of the Shiraishi climb and return to Tokyo. It's about 150km - 160km return and we hold a 30kph transit pace.

Back
Top Bottom