Help Shipping bike from Sendai to SF

HikaruClaire

HikaruClaire

Warming-Up
May 15, 2014
Walnut Creek, California
Hello there Tokyo cycling club members! I just joined the forums in a quest for assistance from fellow bike enthusiasts. I hope you could assist me.

My beloved Scott Sub 20 sits in a box in Dashirin Nagamachi-branch in Sendai. I want to find the cheapest way to ship it to Walnut Creek CA. It's about 11kg and the dimensions are 909mm x 780mm x 480mm. It's too big to send by Japan post.

I got one quote from the Managing Director of Air Sea Express Limited and it's around Y65,000, which is more than the cost of the bike.

I would be willing to pay up to Y25,000 to ship, otherwise I'm considering selling it.

feel free to email me at hikaruclaire(at)gmail(dot)com

B

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Fukushima
It only costs $150 to take it on a flight one way, so I would wait until you're taking a trip to the states.

But for a bike less than $650... I'd suggest selling it if you're moving home permanently.

B

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Fukushima
Then if you want to ship it cheaply you're going to have to arrange ocean freight and wait a few weeks.

HikaruClaire

HikaruClaire

Warming-Up
May 15, 2014
Walnut Creek, California
Thanks for your replies. I was looking to see if any members had SPECIFIC companies in Japan that might deal with shipping bicycles overseas. I can read some Japanese but not enough to do a through search for said companies. Any keywords I might google?

T

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
Fedex will cost around 30,000.

But as others have said, given its retail price, you are better off selling it here and putting the cash towards a new bike back home.

B

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Fukushima
What size is the frame and how much do you want for the bike? I could potentially go to Sendai to pick it up, although I'd have to borrow a bigger car...

D

devnull

Cruising
Aug 14, 2013
I could have it shipped for you for around $100 usd from Misawa-shi, Aomori-ken. I have access to USPS mail.

D

devnull

Cruising
Aug 14, 2013
I'm on a U.S. military base. We have a USPS post office here.

If you are not in a hurry parcel post is cheap but it takes forever (forever being a month and change via boat). Priority Mail should be around a hundred bucks.

Send me a PM, I'll be happy to help. It should be fairly straightforward; box gets here via black cat, same box goes out via USPS.

I have ridden my bike on Sendai city, people there are insane in the way that they nonchalantly weave around without a care in the world.