What's new

Ride Shinnenkai TCC Boso.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
It was a TCC tradition for a few years to do the New Years Boso ride. I intend on doing it again this year.

leaving from near Honda station. (The supermarket car park) on Jan 4th.
Time will be about 8:00.
Take the usual Phil special. Boso backroads route.
Probably conbini at the coast then return.
You can expect about 137km and 1800m.
It’s a watt ride. Not a race. There’s not a lot till you get to the coast so best to bring some stuff for pockets.

Anyone welcome. Usual covid terms and conditions.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
PS. Date will change if it looks like rain.

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Nice. I recall it was also a TCC tradition to be distraught that there are no coin lockers at Honda Station 誉田駅. ("OMG you mean I have to carry my bike bag all the way?") There still aren't. But bike bags are lighter than they used to be.

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Nice. I recall it was also a TCC tradition to be distraught that there are no coin lockers at Honda Station 誉田駅. ("OMG you mean I have to carry my bike bag all the way?") There still aren't. But bike bags are lighter than they used to be.
Last time, Thomas, Munheng & I got off the train at Soga (蘇我), where there ARE coin lockers, and rode the less-than-10km to Honda from there. It just means getting there 30 minutes earlier than the official start time.
I'll do the same for this ride ;)

Justin

Maximum Pace
Nov 12, 2016
Is this still happening? I'm keen. Just depends on whether my leg is okay in time.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Is this still happening? I'm keen. Just depends on whether my leg is okay in time.
It’s still my plan, but the numbers are looking fairly underwhelming at this point...
Still you know what they say in these times. The less the merrier!!😂

lmm

Cruising
Oct 18, 2019
Will aim to come along, but it'll demand an early start (my bike isn't rinko-able), so don't wait for me.

Justin

Maximum Pace
Nov 12, 2016
It’s still my plan, but the numbers are looking fairly underwhelming at this point...
Still you know what they say in these times. The less the merrier!!😂
I guess it's a combination of the time of year and rising apprehension about the coronavirus situation. I have to admit to wavering myself after seeing today's numbers, but only briefly. I know cycling itself is a relatively low-risk activity, but long train rides, cafe stops and the like feel increasingly dicey. Sticking to combini food and eating outside is manageable as long as it's not brutally cold.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Yes I agree, I just saw today’s numbers. Maybe a postponement is in order...?

Justin

Maximum Pace
Nov 12, 2016
Yes I agree, I just saw today’s numbers. Maybe a postponement is in order...?
Tough call. Maybe wait to see how the next few days pan out (although I can't see things getting better anytime soon), or else do a straw poll? I'd probably still be willing to do it, with sensible precautions in place, but I'm not the most responsible person.

No vaccines here for a couple of months, and the government doesn't seem to know what to do, so it's likely to be a dark winter.

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
I'm still in, if it's still on!
Looking forward to it.
What's the final word, @theBlob ? Please let us know by tomorrow night.

Top Bottom