What's new

Tech Shimano Tourney and Claris

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
Soo, let me get cheapo again. Now this is for the wife.

She wants to get a road bike, around the 3-4万 basically this means it is hard to find much stuff.

I saw some quite interesting ones from ArtCycle on Rakuten and they use either Tourney or Claris.

Reading on the internet they seems like a safe bet, but I wonder if anyone here has actually experience with them and how they work on road (maintenance, reliability wise)

Thanks all,

My first bike when I first got to Japan was one of their older models. It is quite heavy as fuck, and I did not like the geometry. (mine had the stem shifters A070 I believe)
Being a steel bike, it required extra care that came with maintaining a steel frame. After a minor crash, I wrecked a brake lever, so I took the chance to upgrade a bit. I changed out the 38cm bar to a more comfortable 42cm one and got 7 speed brifter set (tourneys with the thumb downshifter).

With that said, for around 3 man yen, the bike did it's job for me perfectly. I commuted with it for a good year and a half. I cycled(sometimes walked) up wada, takao, and some of the not too sleep slopes without too much problems. I was, (and still am) slow as F though. If you do get this, I'd suggest getting some tiagra or 105 brake pads since the stock ones really aren't that good.

I'd suggest saving up a bit more and getting something like this instead. https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-ff1-105-mix-road-bike-84204.html

Last edited:
There are some Plenty of entry level road bikes for sale second hand on Yahoo Auction around that price. I bought one a few years back with Sora shifters and whatnot. Did me fine for about a year of group rides in the mountains. Aluminium so not that heavy.
They are listed by frame size. E.g., a size 46 cm Louis Garneau here.

Thank for the info and the suggestions! I always forget about Yahoo auctions, I will go check later and see what is there.

The Merlin stuff is nice, but adding the shipping and a possible tax, get quite hefty.

Back
Top Bottom