Tech Shimano Tourney and Claris

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
Soo, let me get cheapo again. Now this is for the wife.

She wants to get a road bike, around the 3-4万 basically this means it is hard to find much stuff.

I saw some quite interesting ones from ArtCycle on Rakuten and they use either Tourney or Claris.

Reading on the internet they seems like a safe bet, but I wonder if anyone here has actually experience with them and how they work on road (maintenance, reliability wise)

Thanks all,

tigerkamen

Maximum Pace
Jan 6, 2012
Kawaguchi
My first bike when I first got to Japan was one of their older models. It is quite heavy as fuck, and I did not like the geometry. (mine had the stem shifters A070 I believe)
Being a steel bike, it required extra care that came with maintaining a steel frame. After a minor crash, I wrecked a brake lever, so I took the chance to upgrade a bit. I changed out the 38cm bar to a more comfortable 42cm one and got 7 speed brifter set (tourneys with the thumb downshifter).

With that said, for around 3 man yen, the bike did it's job for me perfectly. I commuted with it for a good year and a half. I cycled(sometimes walked) up wada, takao, and some of the not too sleep slopes without too much problems. I was, (and still am) slow as F though. If you do get this, I'd suggest getting some tiagra or 105 brake pads since the stock ones really aren't that good.

I'd suggest saving up a bit more and getting something like this instead. https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-ff1-105-mix-road-bike-84204.html

Last edited:

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
There are some Plenty of entry level road bikes for sale second hand on Yahoo Auction around that price. I bought one a few years back with Sora shifters and whatnot. Did me fine for about a year of group rides in the mountains. Aluminium so not that heavy.
They are listed by frame size. E.g., a size 46 cm Louis Garneau here.

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
Thank for the info and the suggestions! I always forget about Yahoo auctions, I will go check later and see what is there.

The Merlin stuff is nice, but adding the shipping and a possible tax, get quite hefty.