What's new

Shimano sprocket sets

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
It seems like the the ultegra 6700 doesn't come in the 12/27 Or an anything 27.
Only 28, 25, or 23.

Anyone know what is compatable with shimano Ultegra components or where I can procure a 12/27 rear sprocket?

take a look at SRAM cassettes.

It seems like the the ultegra 6700 doesn't come in the 12/27 Or an anything 27.
Only 28, 25, or 23.

Anyone know what is compatable with shimano Ultegra components or where I can procure a 12/27 rear sprocket?

Shimano used to make an Ultegra 6700 12-27 cassette. It looks like now they go from a 12-25 to a 12-30. If you look around a few shops, or check on line you can probably still find an Ultegra 12-27. Otherwise, they now offer a 105-5700 12-27.

Think I'll get an 11/28 and drop the 11 and add a 16. I could probably do with the extra tooth up the steeper sections or on the 2nd climb of the day when it is harder to keep the cadence up.

Word of caution, because the smallest sprocket will also need splines for securing with the lockring, loosing the 11 means you'll also need a lockring12, which could be hard to procure.
Suggestion: get the ultegra 12-25 and switch out the 22-25 for 23-27

Word of caution, because the smallest sprocket will also need splines for securing with the lockring, loosing the 11 means you'll also need a lockring12, which could be hard to procure.

Yep, that's what I did. I agree with Gunnar.

Yes, definitely. The shift-ramps on the cassette cogs are specific to the gear combinations, so you may well end up with poor shifting if you put a 16T cog in a cassette that was not designed to have one.
Dura ace and 105 are both available in 12-27. It baffles me as to why Ultegra is not. (It's my favourite setup for Japan).

What is the difference between the 105, and dura ace and ultegra?

Can I expect much of anything noticable?

What is the difference between the 105, and dura ace and ultegra?

Can I expect much of anything noticable?

With the DA you'll have reduced weight, but also reduced longevity, all at a premium price. Unless you are racing (even then it's questionable), definitely not worth it, IMHO. As for Ultegra-6700 vs 105-5700, as far as I know a little bit of weight difference and maybe a little bit of performance difference. Likely not particularly significant, but then the cost differential isn't that great either. I'd like to hear what others have to say about them.

DA uses Ti and Alloy cogs - weigh less, wear faster. Ultegra and DA share the exact same cog geometry. 105 uses slightly older HG geometry in common with Sora and Tiagra (stamped, not machined). My cassette is mix of DA and Ultregra and I love it. (Same one Gunnar used in Hotaka, btw). It's a 12-30. Lower cogs are DA and upper set is Ultegra - since now Ultegra has a 30T upper cluster. But not much, if any difference than a regular Ultegra.. Same chain (DA) since last June. Just gets the normal spray off with the hose now and then and a clean rag wipe down. I'll add a few drops of Bio Oil about every 1000km or so and thats it. Checked it last nite and minimal signs of stretching. I like the bailout cog of the 30T and it also lets me stay in the 52T longer on most climbs, which I prefer. I'm running a 36T/52T combo which I really love. Would love to have the new DA9000 as it has this chainset in 'native' form - now I have to use an Ultegra CX chainset w/FSA rings to get this combo.

I switch around Ultegra or 105 cassettes on my bikes and can't feel any difference at all. To me 105 is perfectly fine. And you can buy a beer or two with the money you save.

Back
Top Bottom