What's new

Shimano Shoes...

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Evening.

I have been looking at getting some decent shoes, and have been toying with either Sidi or Shimano.

I really like some of the Shimano designs, but I have a question;

What is the hole in the front of the sole for? It is kind of a water drainage thing?

Also, how well does it work (if it is a water drainage thing)?

If it isn't a water drainage thing... What is it?

Sorry if this is an obvious question...:p

Basically it allows better airflow through the shoe.

But it also allows water to drain as I found out at the Yokohama endurance race after riding for 5 hours in the pouring rain.

To be honest though although they were nice and stiff and offered good support around the heel when I first bought them, they have now lost that and they require me to realy pull the straps tight to offer the support I need.

Im now looking at the SIDI 6.6's or Ergo 2's

I'm not exactly sure what hole you are talking about - I don't have Shimano shoes. But, if I had to guess it would be for ventilation and air flow.

From Shimano spin

"- Lightweight and rigid Hollow carbon fibre composite sole meets the demands of athletes, transferring pedalling power into speed
- Three secure fitting cuttable offset Velcro-style hook-and-loop closure straps strategically positioned to assure snug comfortable fit without causing pressure points on the foot
- Sole accommodates SPD-SL or Look cleats
- The upper is well ventilated and important areas are made of mesh material including the tongue which provide breathability giving a nice comfortable fit
- Adding to air circulation through the shoe are holes in the carbon sole allowing ventilation round the foot bed
- Moulded toe and heel cups with further ventilation grills provide added support, comfort and a snug fit
- Cleat memory markers for quick installation of replacement cleats"

Thanks for the reply guys.

OK, so it is an airflow thing. I guess I was wrong! Like FarEast said though, I imagine it would act as a water hole too...

I'm not exactly sure what hole you are talking about - I don't have Shimano shoes. But, if I had to guess it would be for ventilation and air flow.

Look at the sole of Shimano shoes, near the point of the toe. There is a hole. It seemed odd to me, as none of the other shoes I looked at had this.

Well, cheers for the info, and the mini-review.

Sidi it is then!

if you can find them IMHO Carnac are better than Sidis. Quality of construction is way better with better materials used as well. They also have the ventilation holes.
carbon_sole.jpg

notus_2.jpg

You don't want those ventialtion holes in Winter.

I use my Shimano shoes in summer cause they have a big hole in the bottom and my SIDIs in Winter because they have no holes...

The cold air coming in under the Shimanos will cause frost bite...

Yeah, a draft in the shoe is worth 99 in the chest.

I got a shoe-full of road water today on the way to work, and it was... nice?

Not really nice.

Commuting on plastic ***** pedals is not what the doctor ordered, but what the lawyers are keen on...

Go SiDi

Get the SiDi road shoe Ergo 2's. Your feet will thank you for it. SiDi has to be one of the best road/MTB shoes out there. Gotta love the replaceable heel pad. Shimano lacks that!

Vent holes?

Vent holes are so overrated on road shoes. They are great on hot days in good conditions, but when it rains and the temperature drops, they are worthless. I have a pair of Shimano shoes with vent holes, but I had to get a pair of SiDi's for all year round rides!

You don't want those ventialtion holes in Winter.

I use my Shimano shoes in summer cause they have a big hole in the bottom and my SIDIs in Winter because they have no holes...

The cold air coming in under the Shimanos will cause frost bite...

Sorry, I didn't realise this was a non-swearing forum.

Will temper the language in the future.

Didn't mean any harm!

Thanks for editing it for me.:eek:

Vent holes are very easy to deal with. I used a thin sheet of plastic and taped it to the inside of the sole. then put the inner sole back in over the top of it.

Back
Top Bottom