What's new

Shimano + Pioneer = The BEST power meter to hit the market!

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Possibly?

24020151731407496236518.jpg

I mentioned a few months back that Shimano was planning to release thier own Power Meter technology on to the market very soon and it seems that they are displaying the finished and ready to roll model in January 2013.

The unit is based in the spider of the cranks as per SRM however the addition of a very well placed sensor in the BB cups will allow pedal scan capabilities to see where any difference may lay within your pedal stroke and if there are any major inbalance between left and right legs.

Not only that but it seems that Shimano has also taken this time to release adapters for the BB30 and other "off size" that Shimano previously didn't support - great news for those that prefer Dura Ace BB or want to upgrade to the new unit.

The unit is ANT+ so will work with Garmin and other head units that use the protocol including indoor training units such as Taxc, Elite and Lemond systems that are able to record data.

Currently no news about compatibility between models yet but by looking at the images existing owners of Dura Ace products and possible the new Ultegra will beable to make the upgrades.

Now lets just see what the RRP will be!

Not only that but it seems that Shimano has also taken this time to release adapters for the BB30 and other "off size" that Shimano previously didn't support - great news for those that prefer Dura Ace BB or want to upgrade to the new unit.

Not that I see myself buying this, but as I started reading, and saw that the Shimano BB is integral to the system, I thought, "Uh-Oh, that is not going to fit everything without a hassle". Seeing that they are catering for BB30, etc., is really good.

Not just BB30 but all BB sizes! :D

My geeks milk bottle topped glasses took a while to focus on the picture, but yeah, they have a whole range.

That is really well thought out by them.

And yeah, my wallet jumped off my desk and scurried under the bed, when it saw this on my monitor. The price is going to be 'interesting'.

...I wonder if you can use the cranks to control the spin on the Pioneer CDJ2000 decks over WiFi... :D

Actually I think the price is going to be very competitve - this has the full weight of Shimano and Pioneer behind it so I don't think its going to be at the same price point as SRM, Quarq or other small developers.

Also the fact that it is being displayed with the older 10 speed 7900 means that its a stand alone unit that can then be installed even the standard BB will not need replacing as the sensor ring for the pedal scan slots over the groves used for installing and tightening the BB external cups in to place.

So for existing Shimano users they will only actually require the torque meter and BB-sensors. So I would be very suprised if it cost more than 100,000 JPY. In fact Im guessing Shimano will be looking to take a massive market share in the training with power sector and I wouldn't be suprised if we saw this on the market for under 80,000 JPY.

Well, that would certainly blow the competition away.

Interested to see how this pans out.

Nice pick up James.

I have been following this for a while but went ahead and bought a PT Pro wheel earlier this year as didn't want to wait to get into training with power.

This unit with ANT+ capability really sounds good. My Garmin 500 works very well with my PT.

Here is a video about the Pioneer head until. Which is apparently Android based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AU7BVeLU3g&feature=player_embedded

It will be HUGE if they can keep the price under 100,000.

BTW: Rotor just launched their new PM. No RRP set as yet.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...-meter-cranks-with-three-new-data-sets_236771

And it looks like the Garmin Vectors might hit the market next year as well. If they do finally iron out all of the bugs.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2012/08/01/garmin-revenues-power-meter-delayed

Interesting video. Looks like Pioneer may have Garmin in their sights, if their Android cyclecomputer also supports GPS and they think navigation will be key.

They had the head units at last years Cycle mode on display and I have to say I liked the GUI and other features- but there was no talks of a joint venture with Shimano.

It now seems that Shimano have ironed out a lot of the bugs that Pioneer were having.

The head units are great but if you have ever used a Computrainer head unit they are a bit too much going on at the same time and Im sure there are many out there that really only want 2 or 3 peices of data up on the screen at the same time?

For me when I ride im only interested in Average, Current Wattage and Cadence.

The other features such as pedals scan and so on will be a really benifit to those that also suppliment thier outdoor riding with indoor training where you can really focus on left and right torque and other things that the Pioneer head unit will display.

I was thinking about getting the quark but put it off indefinately. If the price is right on this unit though I will dedinately be interested.

I can see the age groupers with poorly drawn ankle tattoos drooling already! Combine that with the 2.5 week 'performance camp' in Thailand and woo hoo!

Am I the only one who doesn't give a rats _ about this kind of stuff?

funny about that...

an

A

followed

by an

SS

is blanked out here.

John, this is a family-friendly forum. ;)

Travis, I know, I need to update the filters.

Back
Top Bottom