Shimano customer service

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
I've always been impressed with Shimano's customer service.

On Friday I found a crack in my crank arm. Not what you want after less than 6 months of riding. I called them up. Very helpful. Sent the cranks for inspection on Saturday. Arrived with Shimano on Monday. I received a brand new crank set today.

If I'd have gone through the retailer (CRC) I expect this would be a very drawn out process.

So if you have any problems with Shimano products, I recommend dealing with them directly.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Glad to read of the positive outcome. Did they require proof of purchase?
Well done Shimano.

Did you ask them about Stu's nexus hub? That might have been pushing it.

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Glad to read of the positive outcome. Did they require proof of purchase?
Well done Shimano.

Did you ask them about Stu's nexus hub? That might have been pushing it.
GReat that you got good service, sucks that a part like that would crack when so new.

Simon, mine hub is an Alfine, and they don't want to talk about Alfine hubs :eek:uch:

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Did they require proof of purchase?

I just printed out my email "order confirmation" from CRCs which was enough.

What model cranks did you have and where did they crack?

Ultegra compact crank set. A long crack on the inside of the left crank arm which was making a squeeking noise. Three small cracks on the inside of the chain ring were contributing to a clicking noise. I circled all these with a maraker pen and wrote "crack" next to them before sending them in.

I broke a Dura Ace crank arm last year, but that was after about 10 years of hard use. This time I assume it was a quality defect.

Andy

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
I am surprised you didn't ask for an upgrade to Dura Ace. I would expect they would do so if you payed the difference. Good to hear good feedback about a warranty issue. Who payed shipping?
Yeah, I was in two minds but I was happy just to get a straight swap. I regret not paying a bit more to get DA in the first place.

I think in terms of durability in crank sets you have to look at Dura Ace. Above that Record. And above that, the god of all gods, Stronglight. FSA by the way should be banished to hell....

As for the shipping - I posted the cranks to them and they posted the new ones back.

Andy