What's new

Shimano Crank Recall in the USA

I find it surprising that mountain bike cranks are not included even though they use the same Hollowtech II construction.

Geez its taken so many years for them to finally address the ultegra crank delamination.

I find it surprising that mountain bike cranks are not included even though they use the same Hollowtech II construction.
It is a different design. The 105, SLX etc are also hollowtech, but it is not "hollowtech" that is causing the failures. It think it is safe to say that CPSC and other safety agencies drilled Shimano pretty hard about the scope of the issue.

Not defending Shimano. It took them a while to get to this point, arguably too long. Recalls of this size/scale are complicated and there is a process of events that occur before a recall is publicly announced.

It is a different design. The 105, SLX etc are also hollowtech, but it is not "hollowtech" that is causing the failures. It think it is safe to say that CPSC and other safety agencies drilled Shimano pretty hard about the scope of the issue.
I understand that. But does e. g. my XTR M9000 crank the 105/SLX construction (which I know hasn't been affected) or the Ultegra/DuraAce construction, which is? Naïvely, I'd assume that the contemporary XT and XTR cranks share the construction of Ultegra and DuraAce.

Not only a recall in the US, but globally. Here is the Japanese press release:

Will be getting my Dura-Ace 9000s checked at my LBS next week.

Do we need to call the phone number first or do we just turn up at a bike shop (that would be Y's in Shinjuku for me) and ask them to check it.

You should just go to the shop you got it at, no need to call Shimano`s free dial number.
The free dial number is just a requirement that the Japan consumer protection agency requires for companies doing a recall.

I would imagine Y`s will be getting a lot of calls/inquiries about this, so some patience may be needed.

• Informative
Reactions: jdd
Thanks for posting this info, otherwise I wouldn't have know it. My crankset is actually to be checked.
Has anyone been to a shop for this and if necessary, is the crankset replaced by the same one ?

Scroll down within the link I sent, there is a chart. If yours needs replacing, you will receive the same level cranks (Ultegra for Ultegra, Dura Ace for Dura Ace) but the current model.

I have a FC-R8000 crank set with a non-drive FC-6800 crank arm with a power meter.
The crank-set is outside of the recall scope, but the non-drive side crank arm with the power meter has a letter combination that is indeed included. I hope the explanation makes sense.

However, when going to the local lbs the other day, they say that Ultegra non-drive crank arms are not being recalled. The reason they gave was that the drive side crank and the non-drive side are not produced in the same say, so individual non-drive crank arms are not recalled.

Does anyone have any info that corroborates this? I have unfortunately been unable to find any info on this particular detail.
Cheers!

I have a FC-R8000 crank set with a non-drive FC-6800 crank arm with a power meter.
The crank-set is outside of the recall scope, but the non-drive side crank arm with the power meter has a letter combination that is indeed included. I hope the explanation makes sense.

However, when going to the local lbs the other day, they say that Ultegra non-drive crank arms are not being recalled. The reason they gave was that the drive side crank and the non-drive side are not produced in the same say, so individual non-drive crank arms are not recalled.

Does anyone have any info that corroborates this? I have unfortunately been unable to find any info on this particular detail.
Cheers!
Sounds correct. Ultegra non-drive side crank arms have the same construction as 105 non-drive side crank arms.

Yeah, from what I've seen the failures are on the drive side. There is a number for Shimano Japan I posted in the link above, and also an international number in the original post from cyclingnews.com, so you could always ring and confirm.

Back
Top Bottom