What's new

Tech Shimano crank bolt rounded off - how to remove?

Lupo

Speeding Up
Jun 8, 2012
Hello everyone, I am supposed to participate to the Saitama TT race this Sunday, and just noticed that my bike's BB is creaking. Good opportunity to extract, clean, and realign the crankset.

And here is the damage: when I tried to remove the first bolt on the left side of the crank, I accidentally applied too much power and rounded off the bolt's head. I have spent some time trying to unscrew the bolt with no success (tried hammering a slightly bigger allen key, tried using a flat screw driver, etc.). Don't know what to do.

Did you ever experienced a similar problem? Can you recommend a bolt shop or bike mechanic that would be able to help me? I went to a small bike shop near my house (Shirokane), but very unhelpful ...

Thanks for your suggestions. Cheers, Stefano.

Last edited:
It's happened to me and the only way to get them off is to drill them off.

Thanks GrantT, will check it out.

Hi James, did you do it yourself? Where should I go to have it drilled? I guess I need some equipment ...

I did it myself but I also have confidence to take a drill to a DuraAce set of cranks or the saw to a top of the line frame. EFFECT is a good place to go, he's not only our team mechanic but also that of Cannondale.

Y
I did it myself but I also have confidence to take a drill to a DuraAce set of cranks or the saw to a top of the line frame. EFFECT is a good place to go, he's not only our team mechanic but also that of Cannondale.
Confident because you know if you mess it up, you don't have to pay for a new one ;)

Reactions: mau
Ciao Stefano, if you can't get it fixed tomorrow, please come by and I'll take care of it for you.

Y

Confident because you know if you mess it up, you don't have to pay for a new one ;)

There was a time when I did have to pay for it.

Reactions: mau
Thanks Tim!
Will PM you beginning of next week.

Passed by Nalsima in Gaien yesterday in the afternoon, and - magic of magics - they managed to remove the bolt in about 20 minutes. These guys are great. Now my bike has stopped making all those strange sounds ... :)

So a good day for you...
2nd in Elite TT
2nd in Team TT
An ice cream
And a fixed bike!

Plus the bento from the future errr...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahaah, definitely a good day. Unexpected.
The bento was really tasty. Will make one for you two for Kisomura :)

Back
Top Bottom