What's new

Shimano C24 wheel's manufacture problem?

kimm

Maximum Pace
Dec 25, 2009
Hi Guys,
Could you give me an advice on this. I just bought C24(CL) wheelset and found this strange parts from front wheel.(Refer to attached photo)

I asked Shimano Japan and they told me this is okay and there's no issue to use this wheel(It's just contacting part for Rim).
And the Tyre bid is covering the rim side and Tube can not be puntured by this strange part.

Do you think it's normal and i can use this for normal use?

With regards,
Seunghoi Kim(Kimm)

Yeah, that looks like where they joined the rim.

Totally fine.

If you are bothered that much, file it down yourself, but it will work fine, and if you got the go ahead from Shimano, then that is good enough for anybody.

Metal doesn't join itself...

:)

Mine has the same and they have done thousands of km on them on four different continent, still going strong.

As Owen said if its bothering you just take some 1000 or 1500 grit sand paper (Tamiya fine sanding is what I use) and just polish it up. But honestly its just where the loop is finished and the aluminium overlaps to create a stronger bond.

thanks owen/james! that relieves me a lot :rolleyes:
just completed to attach tyre and did some trial ride. :)
wow... did i train too much with tt/powertap deep wheels?
so light... should be going some mountain this weekend!

kimm

Kimm - the Shimano Dura Ace C24 Alum-Carbon are one of the nicest sets of wheels I have ever ridden - not only does Shimano's bearing/rail laser matching process offer the best ride within the price point but the fact that all Dura Ace wheels are hand built and go through one of the highest quality controls in the industry. (Dura Ace wheel builders have their very own section in the factory which is almost a sterile environment….no joke!)

I used mine in the Tour of Cameroon and some of the sections of the stage race took us over roads that made the spring classics look like a velodrome – I was very concerned about them on returning to Japan, although they were still true I was more worried about the bearings.

The mechanic opened them up had a good look around and declared that there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. 1 week racing in Cameroon, 2 Crits in Paris and a couple of jollies on pavé around le chateu, Chantilly.

They got a serious beating from Tokyo to Paris, Paris to Brussels, Brussels to Cameroon and back…….not a single issue!

Yep - perfectly normal. These are not tubeless rims and therefore even less an issue. If you spotted some cracks - then maybe to look at, but that is very rare with these. I wouldn't even touch this with sandpaper - you'll go through the anodizing and then they'll start to corrode. DA wheels are very mature - everything about them is just 'right'. Which is one of the reasons I love to build wheelset based on DA hubs. FE is correct - all DA wheels are handbuilt in Singapore by just a few technicians from start-to-finish. So, they are truly 'handbuilt' and quality check is as good as you can get. (Without having a P&K on your desk)

Same here - both front and rear wheel! Only discovered it last weekend when I changed to new tyres after almost 2 years of heavy use. Until this thread, I suspected a past pothole direct hit :warau: Relieved to know it is only an intrinsic construction dent. Like FE, I find them so solid they are seemingly indestructable (have abused them on very long and extremely rocky downhill sections but they still in perfect shape).

Hi Guys,
Could you give me an advice on this. I just bought C24(CL) wheelset and found this strange parts from front wheel.(Refer to attached photo)

I asked Shimano Japan and they told me this is okay and there's no issue to use this wheel(It's just contacting part for Rim).
And the Tyre bid is covering the rim side and Tube can not be puntured by this strange part.

Do you think it's normal and i can use this for normal use?

With regards,
Seunghoi Kim(Kimm)

Back
Top Bottom