What's new

Tech Shimano 6600 gearing upgrades

And you would have to go mountain shifters instead of brifters because the cable pull is different.

True for 10sp MTB derailleurs, but 9sp MTB rear derailleurs are compatible with STI shifters.

A 9sp MTB rear derailleur works fine with a 10sp cassette, chain and STI shifter.

True for 10sp MTB derailleurs, but 9sp MTB rear derailleurs are compatible with STI shifters.

A 9sp MTB rear derailleur works fine with a 10sp cassette, chain and STI shifter.

This! Changing to a cheap MTB rear derailleur and cassette should save you a lot of money. I use a 10 speed 36 tooth MTB cassette with a cheapo (3,000 YEN!) Shimano Altus rear derailleur. Works perfectly fine. I use non-indexed downtube shifters, so I don't know about indexing issues, but if it is an issue you can always jam an old pre-indexing bar end shifter in the handlebars and use that instead of the brifters. I was under the impression, however, that Shimano MTB and road cassettes had the same cog spacing all the way up the line. No?

I use a triple (50/39/30) with a 11-28 cassette on my 20" wheels, which is like having a 15-37 cassette on a 700C. Maybe your dad is in much better shape than I am, but on Wada East I wouldn't want to have any higher hearing!

There are two more options to get lower gearing than what's available with Shimano road standard 50-39-30 triple + 12-30 setups on a 700C:

One is to replace the smallest chain ring on the triple for 28T or 26T (for example, TA 74 PCD Zelito). The small chain ring is bolted on to the middle chain ring. Shimano STI triple FDs are particular about relative sizes of middle and large chain rings, but will tolerate different little ones.

The other is to use a 48-36-26 Deore 10sp triple with a 105 FD (you can't use Deore FD with STI shifters because of different cable pull).

Joe - Thanks for that pointer. I think the rear mech can handle 40T difference so 50/30=20 + 30/12=18 so I've 2 to spare. I guess that means I can do the 28T but not the 26. I guess this is the one you are talking about: http://www.wiggle.com/ta-74-pcd-5-arm-triple-inner-chainring/ and looking at the Q&A folks say its compatible with the 5703.

I'd say you are in better shape but he's a hardy man. I told him about the triple last night and he called it a granny gear...

This! Changing to a cheap MTB rear derailleur and cassette should save you a lot of money. I use a 10 speed 36 tooth MTB cassette with a cheapo (3,000 YEN!) Shimano Altus rear derailleur. Works perfectly fine. I use non-indexed downtube shifters, so I don't know about indexing issues, but if it is an issue you can always jam an old pre-indexing bar end shifter in the handlebars and use that instead of the brifters. I was under the impression, however, that Shimano MTB and road cassettes had the same cog spacing all the way up the line. No?

I doubt he'd like anything MTB related on his bike. He's quite proud of his Ultegra and the way it looks right now so even pushing 105 is a hard sell. My sales pitch is that it is newer and it will get him up those hills!

There seems to be so many options but to keep DAD happy I would just change the fron to Ultegra compact and the rear to 12/11 - 30.
As an aside - if he is going anywhere near department 50 I would be proud to meet up and ride with him and or buy him a beer etc.
78 - hope I am still riding at 78 let alone doing long mileage

I found out where he is going. He's doing Lyon to Nice. Here is the route (it's a pdf file) http://www.cmrf.org/images/uploads/general/Cycle_Itinerary__2.pdf

I don't think he will be doing the Mount Ventoux climb. I'm not sure how mad some of the climbs will be on route but looks they are avoiding a lot of the real mountains. I've driven the coast road to Nice at least and its quite rolly with lots of ups and downs. So definitely some inclines. Maybe we are over thinking the gears a little but it's 5 consecutive longish days in the saddle that would probably have me grasping for lower gears too.

I'm gonna play with Robert's gear tables I think and chat to my dad to see if he has any further information in his care pack that might help decide.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll get there.

I think I have a GS cage Ultegra derailleur at home in my in tray. It's used but 7000yen seems a bit dear.

I presume its a 10 speed given the conversations we are having. This sounds fab. Let me know what you are thinking you'd like for it and I'll weigh it into things when I've put a plan in motion.

I use a 9 speed 6500 rear derailleur with my new 10 speed set up and works fine.

Maybe he could get a SRAM right brifter with WiFli and 32t cassette at the rear, while keeping the Ultegra left brifter and crankset/FD?

Brake pull might not be so different between Shimano and SRAM brifters. If it is, just get a SRAM front brake.

Anyone know any reason this wouldn't work?

Quoted from here

>You can also set up a SRAM 2×10 drivetrain using SRAM road shifters and any 10-speed road crank. Then for your trips to the Dolomites, you could swap to an 11-36 SRAM 10-speed MTB cassette and an X0 rear derailleur or something similar. It would probably be smart to use a chain specific for each setup, so that when you swap the cassette, swap to the corresponding chain so that it's the right length.

>I ran this by SRAM MTB product manager Chris Hilton, who said, "As you know, a SRAM road and MTB 10-speed shifter share the same exact actuation, making them cross-compatible with MTB and road. Be aware though, every bike frame is different. Not knowing the exact specifications, it's hard to determine the complete compatibility. I would make sure I did a thorough evaluation on my bike before I threw a bunch of parts on my bike and headed to Italy.

Right. My dad (78 years young) is off to France on a cycling tour. He goes off every year on a sponsored cycle. Last year was Spain. Anyway - this year the trip takes him from north France somewhere (he didn't say) to Nice. He has been told he'll need low gears basically a compact.
Any help, guidance appreciated.
Your Dad is in the UK, right?

Maybe he could get a SRAM right brifter with WiFli and 32t cassette at the rear, while keeping the Ultegra left brifter and crankset/FD?

Anyone know any reason this wouldn't work?

This wouldn't work due it it being the most stupid idea known to man. The mere thought of it makes me want to be violently sick.

Back
Top Bottom