What's new
  • Dear valued Members,

we kindly ask you to post/repost your classified ads to our new Classifieds section. This subforum is now in read-only status. If you still have active ads, repost them to the new Classified section.

Please submit multiple items seperately: one entry for each item you'd like to post.

Thank you!

Wanted Shimano 105/Ultegra Crankset 52/34 175

Juston1

Warming-Up
May 9, 2015
Hello,
I am looking to upgrade my Crankset to a 52/34 either Shimano 105 black (my current groupo) or ulterga grey. Can someone please help me out?

Please send me a message if you have one that you are willing to sell. Thank you.

Last edited:
@Juston1, the spec for Shimano 105 front derailleurs lists a 16 tooth difference, i.e. 52/36 or 50/34. Your setup involves an 18 tooth gap, which can cause slower shifts on up-shifts and dropped chains on down-shifts. I would opt for either of the supported combinations. If you absolutely must have the 52 (how often do you spin out a 50x11?) and assuming your rear derailleur has enough capacity, go for a bigger cassette if you need the lower gears as well.

^What he said.

Sure you don't mean a 50/34 crankset?

Thanks for your thoughts. I currently have a 105 (10spd) groupo, running a 50/34and a 12-30 in the back. I LOVE going fast on flats (i mean who doesn't) and only ride uphills so i can ride as fast as i can down them. Even with the 50 i would spin out going down hills and it was killing me so one of my buddies had a silver crankset 52/36 that he let me use. Love it, and you are right @joewein the front derailleur has a bit of trouble getting into gear sometimes. The reason i posted this is because the crankset was silver and i have a black groupo (me being picky) and i was looking for a grey crankset. But over time i really like the silver look.

Overall I would definitely recommend the 52/36 crankset. Never turning Back.

If the decent is long / steep enough to spin out a 50 - 12, it will spin out a 52 - 12 as well...

So it is a 52/36 you are looking for (Shimano doesn't make a 52/34) ?

Gear inches: high / low
50/34 with 12-30: 109.5 / 29.8
52/36 with 12-30: 113.9 / 31.5
50/34 with 11-28: 119.5 / 31.9

So if you're primary looking for tall gears for descending, going for a cassette starting with an 11T will buy you more than going from a 50 to a 52 crank. The drawback is that Shimano don't do an 11-30 cassette. 11-28 is the closest, which would also raise your lowest gear by about 7% (vs. 6% with leaving the cassette and changing the crank to 52/36).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom