What's new

Shikoku Cycling (First Timer)

RoryGale

Warming-Up
Dec 10, 2020
Hey,

I am looking to do some big cycles around Shikoku over golden week - I have a provisional route that takes me from Onomichi round the coast to Kochi. Stopping in Matsuyama, Uwajima and Tosashimizu along the way.

Has anyone done something similar and want to add any thoughts?

I had a couple of ideas so please comment what you think:

1. I wanted to Fly from Tokyo to Hiroshima and then fly back at the end of the week from Kochi to Tokyo. Is anyone aware of a service that can transport your bike from Airport to Airport without having to use your own bike box? (I don't want to have to deal with a bike box when I arrive)

2 Ideally I would like to ride light (looks like there will be some tasty elevation) and have a travel bag I can deliver from stop to stop each day. TA-Q-BIN was recommended but doesn't appear to be same day.

Thank you

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
1. I wanted to Fly from Tokyo to Hiroshima and then fly back at the end of the week from Kochi to Tokyo. Is anyone aware of a service that can transport your bike from Airport to Airport without having to use your own bike box? (I don't want to have to deal with a bike box when I arrive)
2 Ideally I would like to ride light (looks like there will be some tasty elevation) and have a travel bag I can deliver from stop to stop each day. TA-Q-BIN was recommended but doesn't appear to be same day.
You don't need a box to fly domestic. Just a bike bag as used for the trains. If you can leave a day or so earlier than the crowds, it will be more relaxing.

Shimanto-gawa is perhaps my favorite area of Shikoku. Eschew all the tunnels and ride the loops that they shortcut... that's where the real countryside is.

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
The Shimanami Kaido, a network of bridges and highways between the islands of the Seto Inland Sea, is one of the most popular cycling destinations in Japan, I believe.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
While circumnavigating has an aspect of conquest--"I did it all", "I cycled the whole island"--you also miss all the inland roads, views, and attractions.

Cactaur

Maximum Pace
Feb 3, 2014
We were time crunched so went right thru, tokushima to imabari. Its pretty nice. Getting out of osaka to the wakayama ferry was a pain tho but thats city traffic for you.

RoryGale

Warming-Up
Dec 10, 2020
You don't need a box to fly domestic. Just a bike bag as used for the trains. If you can leave a day or so earlier than the crowds, it will be more relaxing.

Shimanto-gawa is perhaps my favorite area of Shikoku. Eschew all the tunnels and ride the loops that they shortcut... that's where the real countryside is.
Thank you for that! Do they put the bike in the cabin - just concerned as a rinko bag doesn't really have the protection if its in the hold.

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Thank you for that! Do they put the bike in the cabin - just concerned as a rinko bag doesn't really have the protection if its in the hold.
Bike on plane goes in the hold, with any baby strollers and wheelchairs. So you're right - less protection. I'm always asked to sign a disclaimer - any damage not their fault. Anecdotally: I've never had so much as a scratch.

Another travel option is the Sunrise Seto sleeper train. As there's only one such train per day, tickets can be hard to get. For Golden Week you'd need to queue up at 06.00 at a JR Ticket Office hours before they go on sale to stand a chance.

Top Bottom