What's new

Shikoku bicycles on trains

Kumachan Ikemen

Cruising
Apr 22, 2014
Went through Shikoku during the Golden Week and was impressed by the wonderful nature and the striking unfriendliness of locals.

Went back on the train from Kochi city and suffered a surprise attack by the station officers who demanded to cover "the whole bicycle", including the saddle, otherwise I could not ride the train. Actually they demanded the bicycle to be "oritatami". Their arguments were "increase of horrible accidents involving bicycle saddles sticking out". I still can't sleep as my imagination plays back scenes of mass destruction of humankind by bicycle saddles of all types and forms.

This thread is just a warning - if you ride trains in Shikoku with packed bicycles, it's safer to cover a saddle by some plastic bag (this is what I did) if you don't want your mood to get spoiled by officers.

"increase of horrible accidents involving bicycle saddles sticking out"

I'm trying not to think about this.

Screen_shot_2014-02-21_at_09.44.53.png

Nice thread timing. My friend who is currently interested in buying a bike bag told me that he had heard that JR requires the saddle to be covered as you suggested. I asked him to find a written rule on the web somewhere which describes that but he couldn't find anything. Maybe its not all of JR? Perhaps next they will stop me from getting on the train for being extremely sweaty and require I shower and change clothes? Haven't ridden the train yet this year with a bike bag so nothing to tell. This country does like it's rules though :)

I've seen these signs around Kanto.
image.jpg
Bottom left says no part of the bicycle can stick out of the bag.

Maybe I should get a little sticker for my saddle that says "This is not the bicycle part you are looking for".

I was not reprimanded during my recent rinko adventure (Nov 2013, IIRC).
Was on the Hanzomon, and JR lines to Sakura (Chiba). I was using a Fairmean bag.
Maybe a simple plastic cover over the seat would be enough to conform with the rule. We'll see next time I rinko.

Happened to me as well last year in Shikoku. A normal plastic bag from a nearby combini store would be sufficient to cover the saddle. That way they let me in.
I do not understand what the plastic bag would be protecting from, but this is a case where rules defy logic.

Everyone has a different story. I was running late one time, and decided that if I tried to bag my bike, I might well miss the train should a hitch occur. The station staff (I`ve only taken the bike on the train from Kochi station 3 times, so it`s not as if they know me) let me take the bike on the train as it was, provided I bagged it up once onboard. And then there was the time when I was out in the sticks and a torrential downpour settled in for the day...I was allowed on the train sans bike bag and not even required to cover it with a plastic bag/s.

As for Shikoku bikes, well if you head to Shimanto they actually have a dedicated train carriage just for bicycles - no bag required, and hooks to keep the bike upright. I *think* it`s the only such train carriage in Japan.

As for the saddle though, I`m curious what their attitude would be if you removed it and the seat post from the bike. Would they make you cover up a stool if you tried to take one on? For those with teenage mentalities, I don`t mean one of these :merde:

I've never been hassled no matter how pathetic my attempts are, and you can believe me when I say I make the bare minimum effort. Let's face it if I have energy for that then I am clearly not riding hard enough.

It can happen anywhere and sooner or later it will. Was rejected in takao because only the saddle stuck out. Was rejected as well somewhere in deepest inaka because the fork was out.

Back
Top Bottom