Shave your head and eat and drink for ¥48

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
A lovely idea for the gourmands among us, but is this for real or perhaps just a practical joke? It is indeed what tokyocheapo.com says, but tokyocheapo.com refers the reader to the dive's own web page (actually the page about lunch); and there's no mention of this 99%-off deal either there or in the list of plans, as far as I can see. Moreover, I can't guess at the logic to it -- why would some place give away food to the shaven-headed and baldies? (The whole deal reminds me of the email I used to get years ago, according to which Bill Gates wanted to give me $200, a new computer, or whatever.)

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
microcord - I've seen these so called 'campaigns' a thousand times in Shinjuku. Basically it works like this.

1) They have already placed about 250 stoolies to burn up the entrance time (5pm, right?)
2) They process very slowly - so chances are you'd never reach the actual entry time.
3) If you do - you'd likely get about 20min - 30min max to partake of the 'campaign'
4) During which time, since you are on a campaign special, everything is limited - and of course the 'serving staff' will constantly avoid you, thus, you'll be lucky to get 1 beer and a plate of stale edamame.

However - they will have nearly toothless oyaji photographers cruising the joint snapping every 'maruguri' person in sight from which to display prominently on their 'HP'. I thought 2x about this - then reality struck.

Reactions: microcord

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
GSAstuto , thank you for the edumacation. I sit corrected!

It's clear that even my cynicism about marketing gimmickry has weakened with old age.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
When it comes to 'campaigns' in Japan, my cynicism meter hits a high unmatched by even a Holiday Inn art sale in East St. Louis.

Reactions: TOM