What's new

Share The Road...... Translation....?

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
I've taken on a new customer, actually a few, an old friend of my departed father-in-law runs a liquor shop, a few neighbourhoods over from us, he has decided to retire (I think he is 73) and has handed me some of his old customers. A couple of them should be really good for the bottom line :D They are certainly close enough to do the delivery via bicycle and trailer, but I have to go down a couple of roads that can be crowded and do not have any kind of sidewalk to speak of, and not much room for traffic. Fortunately this is not a long distance, but it is still a bit tight, and you know how some Tokyo drivers can be.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a big assed "Share the Road" kind of sign on the back of my trailer......

Share-the-road-ying-yang.gif

Share_the_Road_Sign.jpg

shareroad.jpg

Something like that, I might have to adjust the image a bit, but you get the idea. I think, or hope that an image alone would get the idea across, but some text would not hurt. I think the English "Share the Road" on the bottom and a Japanese equivalent on the top would be good.

This is what Google translate came up with....

共有道路 (Kyōyū dōro)
..... When I put it back through the Google translator it comes out as "Sharing the road".

I know that when I ask my wife, she will roll her eyes and say "Why bother" but it is not her cute butt out there in the traffic playing with the cars. I am also very aware that TOO MANY drivers would never see it, get it, or give a hoot, but some might. :rolleyes:

Suggestions, comments, snide remarks.... ;) :D

Cheers!

Although my Japanese is lousy, I wonder if 'share the road' works.

So many times it seems to me that Japanese people are simply baffled by these types of expressions, in my experience. If it were Japanese Japanese, would "自転車ご注意" be sufficient? That is: "Careful: bicycle"; or maybe you could add a "please" to avoid road rage 「自転車ご注意ください」

I know some TCC members are JLPT1. Maybe they could provide some more appropriate advice.

Although my Japanese is lousy, I wonder if 'share the road' works.

So many times it seems to me that Japanese people are simply baffled by these types of expressions, in my experience. If it were Japanese Japanese, would "自転車ご注意" be sufficient? That is: "Careful: bicycle"; or maybe you could add a "please" to avoid road rage 「自転車ご注意ください」

I know some TCC members are JLPT1. Maybe they could provide some more appropriate advice.

Yeah, I'm hoping some of our Japanese members will come up with something better. When I showed my wife, she said "no one will understand that" so I'm looking for options.

It is funny how the language things work, no disrespect or criticism, just an observation.

Cheers!

共有道路 reads more like "shared road". Other (better?) options out there:

道路シェアリング
道路シェア
シェア・ザ・ロード
道路の共有 (this is a more generic term for all road usage)
車と自転車を共通意識 (not very snappy)

sideriver.com in collaboration with Bicycle Club is doing homegrown Share the Road kind of stuff:

http://www.sideriver.com/bicycle/share/velo_share_goods.html

Maybe "自転車注意" (Jitensha chūi) would be better leaving out the "go"...?

共有道路 reads more like "shared road". Other (better?) options out there:

道路シェアリング
道路シェア
シェア・ザ・ロード
道路の共有 (this is a more generic term for all road usage)
車と自転車を共通意識 (not very snappy)

sideriver.com in collaboration with Bicycle Club is doing homegrown Share the Road kind of stuff:

http://www.sideriver.com/bicycle/share/velo_share_goods.html

Great Phil, thanks!

I like 「皆の道」 - it's everybody's road. At any rate that's one of the ways I admonish selfish people who cut me up and then are unable to escape before the next light.

I'd flip the picture horizontally, so that the bicycle is on the left and it's a right-hand-drive car. Those tw@ts in LHD Mercs and BMWs are far too self-centered to read the sign anyway.

For no obvious reason I'm reminded of a Japanese friend dedicating one of my favourite Hollies' songs to me at karaoke:

(Harmonica intro)
The load is wrong,
With many a winding turn​

How about this?
"みんなの道路"(minna no doro) Road for everyone.

Also, I think that symbol might actually be taken literally by Japanese motorists... personally I think that's showing the car way too close to the biker, and it should show the car passing fully in the opposite lane.

I like 「皆の道」 - it's everybody's road. At any rate that's one of the ways I admonish selfish people who cut me up and then are unable to escape before the next light.

I'd flip the picture horizontally, so that the bicycle is on the left and it's a right-hand-drive car. Those tw@ts in LHD Mercs and BMWs are far too self-centered to read the sign anyway.

For no obvious reason I'm reminded of a Japanese friend dedicating one of my favourite Hollies' songs to me at karaoke:

(Harmonica intro)
The load is wrong,
With many a winding turn​

My lovely wife tells me that "公道" Public Road is better, no one would say 「皆の道」:D

I'll flip the image

Just translate this to Japanese:

!BQdOQn!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DEEjlLl1e6UBJ4+G2tzHg~~_12.JPG

Wait a minute, why should I flip the image.....?

I look at it as the car and bike are facing me.....

I'll add some headlights.....

share_the_road_bilingual_BW_headlights.jpg

With the headlights, I think it is obvious that the bike and the car are coming towards you, if so, they are on the right side of each other........ I think......?

and how about this.....

share_the_road_bilingual_BW_headlights1.jpg

and for those who have been here a while, I hope this makes you laugh.....

share_the_road_bilingual_BW_headlights2.jpg

Not very politically correct...

... But it IS how I feel :mad:

5491088727_647b6a2367_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom