September's 101 Mysteries of Cycling

May 13, 2008
Kawasaki-Shi
Take a new cobbled stone course and assume the following

1. Route is 350 km consisting of 50% maximum difficulty cobbles, 20% mud, 30% smooth asphalt (including a velodrome finish)
2. Weather is a constant 'medium drizzle'
3. Two riders of equal performance

Allowing current rules for road bike optimisation and a mountain bike optimised (but with 26” wheels) for such conditions.

Which would be faster?

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
Take a new cobbled stone course and assume the following

1. Route is 350 km consisting of 50% maximum difficulty cobbles, 20% mud, 30% smooth asphalt (including a velodrome finish)
2. Weather is a constant 'medium drizzle'
3. Two riders of equal performance

Allowing current rules for road bike optimisation and a mountain bike optimised (but with 26” wheels) for such conditions.

Which would be faster?
When you get a puncture, do you have to change the tube or can you pick a wheel off a support car? My road bike handled some pretty rough road in Nagano but it punctured on the way home. My MTB has never punctured yet.

Kaffekata

Warming-Up
Apr 27, 2008
Tokyo, Jpn
Correct answer?

Professor Head, could you tell us the correct answer, please?

I thought it might be my slightly modified cyclocross with fenders (to keep the rider clean, you know) touring road bike, or an all carbon Kluoto Kross, or a Surly Crosscheck.

May 13, 2008
Kawasaki-Shi
No Answer

The race was set up so that both bikes would have a perceived equal opportunity of winning and the winner depended on your argument. A lively debate would have produced a majority answer. Alternatively, any TCC volunteers for a cobbled stone ride?