September 21 (Monday)

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
I am planning a 200km ride out from Tokyo Monday (9/21) and would welcome the company. Am thinking of Mikuni or Matsuhime but am happy to go with the flow.

Let me know if your interested . . .

Cheers,

Philip

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
Hi Mike & Peter,

Mike > Peter wants to join this ride (his first in Japan) and is riding out from Yokohama. Therefore, going to Mikuni would be easier for Peter and I to return to the same starting point (so Peter does not get lost). Therefore I am proposing Mikuni:

Kamiuma (Tokyo) 06:30
Junction R246 & R16 07:15 (Peter meets Philip)
Hon Atsugi 07:50 (Mike meets Peter / Philip outside Lawson)
R710 7/11 09:30
Bridge / rindo gate leading to Tanzawako 10:30
Mikuni 7/11 11:30
Mikuni top 13:00
Yamanako 7/11 14:00 (depart)
Hashimoto 15:45
Kamiuma 17:30

Can you both let me know your plans :)

Cheers,

Philip

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
Many thanks to Peter for your company today. It was Peters first ride in Japan. Also thanks to Todor and friend who I met along the R413 and with whom I rode back to Tokyo. A great day - although Mikuni remains unrelenting :(

Here is the ride according to the Garmin

Cheers,

Philip

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Hey Philip, nice to see you got to put your new Garmin toy to the test! It must be fun to geek-out over all the data at home. I think I may pull the trigger on one soon.

It was family day for me today, so cycling was not an option. I was still in familiar cycling territory, though, because the kids and I were messing around along the fringes of the Akikawa, out past Musashi-Itsukaichi, hunting for frogs and crabs, and trying to catch fish with sticks, yarn and paper clips for hooks. Alas, the fish didn't appear interested in un-baited paper clips, but we did manage to skip a lot of rocks and scare the daylights out of a few frogs and crabs. My wife and kids even got to sample some of the oven-fresh offerings at our meeting-point bakery at the station. It felt a little strange, like I was providing them a glimpse of my secret life -- the one where I turn into a lycra-clad cycling superhero on weekends.

Mikuni. That is a toughie. It's easily the climb I dread most. Knowing you, though, you'll run a marathon tomorrow after swimming a couple K's at the pool.

Let's ride soon!

Deej

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
Hi Deej,

The Garmin makes keeping a training diary easy. Just plug it into the Mac and push one button to receive a great data presentation of my ride.

Whilst climbing Mikuni Garmin shows you the gradient. The concrete circles hit 19%. Plenty of 16% moments (mostly after the concrete circles). The most common reading is 12%-10%. And this is a 7.5km climb!

Sounds like you had fun playing Super Dad :D Must have been a special and memorable day. It feels strange when two separate parts of your life collide - experiencing the bread shop as a father and not Black Thunder. The classic Bruce Wayne / Batman situation.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fen%2Fthumb%2F4%2F40%2FBatmanlee.png%2F250px-Batmanlee.png&hash=1e9d1e3adeee9d766592cdc6bbbf3616

Lets ride next weekend :cool:

Philip

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Mikuni

I drove down Mikuni-toge (from Yamanaka-ko to R246) this afternoon, after a rain-and-fog-stopped-play hike up Fujisan with the kids. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Mike's verdict: This is not a road for cycling. It's a road for staying in bed and avoiding.

Kidding! I'll do it next year. Maybe. Right now I need endurance- rather than strength training, and Mistress Gravity has a little too much to say about my gut for me to attempt 18% for more than a couple hundred meters, viz, the last stretch of my commute home.

I came away in awe of you guys who ride up there at measurable speeds.

--Mike--