What's new

Today September 2022

I was thinking that perhaps another avenue to explore is to take out the seat post, tighten the seat post clamp and leave it over night.

Forecast said 0% chance of rain.... so I headed out....

LIARS!!!

Anyhow, it was a nice cool ride.

View attachment 36570
Doesn't seem too bad, though. I'm on a rest week and because my road bike is in my LBS to hopefully fix the shifters, I've been doing mellow rides outdoors. It was super nice yesterday, seeing the sunrise on the sea side!

Doesn't seem too bad, though. I'm on a rest week and because my road bike is in my LBS to hopefully fix the shifters, I've been doing mellow rides outdoors. It was super nice yesterday, seeing the sunrise on the sea side!
This was one of the dry moments.
When I turned back to Kamakura and headed inland, it was just a steady mist. Never a downpour, but the worst kind of mist for glasses.

easier to sell the seat post and get one that fits.
putting too much torque on the clamp will/could alter the shape of the seat tube and possibly take the seat post out of round.
I was thinking that perhaps another avenue to explore is to take out the seat post, tighten the seat post clamp and leave it over night.

This was one of the dry moments.
When I turned back to Kamakura and headed inland, it was just a steady mist. Never a downpour, but the worst kind of mist for glasses.
kirisame. That's the most common form of rain here in Sendai.
putting too much torque on the clamp will/could alter the shape of the seat tube and possibly take the seat post out of round.
You are right. And I agree that it is a bit extreme, but so is putting LocTite on your seat post. I should have added a warning, though. Thanks for pushing back a little.

44km tonight.
A little lightning, a little rain, a little wind...
It was not a boring ride. I was running my 700x38s on my sage and at one point I plowed a pot hole I never saw. Hands and shoulders took quite a jolt, but the bike handled it quite well.

Hayama -> Zushi -> Kamkura -> Enoshima -> Kamakura (pic) -> Zushi Highland -> Hayama

View attachment 36475
I miss Hayama.. used to live in Shonan Kokusaimua..the top of the hill near the hotel..moved to Minato Gaoka, closer to rte.16 so my son could catch the bus to Yokosuka.

I miss Hayama.. used to live in Shonan Kokusaimua..the top of the hill near the hotel..moved to Minato Gaoka, closer to rte.16 so my son could catch the bus to Yokosuka.
I ride by there when I feel like killing some time. Never quite my destination, but just a random detour.
Your new place is a couple hundred steps from a MTB trail I ride! This past winter I broke some ribs near there.

Kirisame and Kosame are different I think.
I always think of the former as mist and the latter drizzle.
Yup. Kirisame is like a very fine mist or fog (hence, the name), almost imperceptible at first, but it will make you wet if you stay out for long enough.

I've gotten a response from Fergus Liam with Ritchey. Basically, check the seatpost for size. (in tolerance?) Grease the seat collar bolt to allow the greatest amount of torque within spec. Use carbon paste. So, I'm going to change the seatpost out to a non-Thomson one first and see if that was the problem. If not, I'll grease the seat collar bolt and see if that helps. If I still have a problem, I'll try carbon paste again. By doing it this way, I can maybe isolate where the problem is. But it will have to wait till the weekend before I can do any testing. Thanks to you and everyone else who replied. I'll post with my results later.

Yup. Kirisame is like a very fine mist or fog (hence, the name), almost imperceptible at first, but it will make you wet if you stay out for long enough.
I am not initially a meteorologist but used to work for a weather company and ended in doing aviation weather / airport forecast. Heavy rain if thunderstorms were a concern, not light rain or drizzle. Low visibilities were.
Technically, I think that kirisame refers to the raindrop particle size, while kosame to the rain quantity.
Anyway, riding under kirisame conditions can be a pleasure, if we get motivated on that day and temperatures not too cold

sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole @Elzico2012 exactly right.

thanks for that, I'm now going to be that weird gaijin at rugby that knows more about rain than the Japanese guys

. If not, I'll grease the seat collar bolt and see if that helps. If I still have a problem, I'll try carbon paste again.
overgreased seat tube might need a wipe with a 556 dampened cloth or paper towel.

Given the concern about things being in or out of spec, how about some measurements--e.g., I have a micrometer that will measure something like a seat post or the interior of a seat tube to very small fractions of a millimeter. And in emailing both the frame and seatpost makers about problems (or discussion here), wouldn't that info be useful?

edit: but it would not measure raindrop particle size...

Given the concern about things being in or out of spec, how about some measurements--e.g., I have a micrometer that will measure something like a seat post or the interior of a seat tube to very small fractions of a millimeter. And in emailing both the frame and seatpost makers about problems (or discussion here), wouldn't that info be useful?
Yes. Unfortunately, my cheapo digital caliper isn't precise enough to measure such small tolerances accurately. If the other ideas don't work then, yeah, it will be time to get a better one and see if that is the issue.

my cheapo digital caliper isn't precise enough
Cheapo vernier caliper will always beat a cheapo digital caliper.

A friend who knows my nerdiness only too well found this for my birthday many years ago. It's not often used, but when it is... woweee!

IMG_3098.JPG

Back
Top Bottom