What's new

Today September 2022

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Another month of cycling adventures! :)

I did two Century rides in August: one in Chichibu and one to Tomin no Mori. Both were relatively cool for August. I am definitely looking forward to cooler temperatures to return later in September!

Out for 16 rides in august, same as june and july, but less distance, averaging 34km. And rain today.

One question: the MX238s have a lot of ventilation holes. How do they fare in the winter or in the rain? Or is it just a matter of putting overshoes on?

You probably already know my solution for winter: A pair of old socks worn over the shoes, with holes cut for the cleats. Proper booties are even better of course.

Talking about shoes, I ordered the Bonts on Monday and they arrived today! So far, so good. They are extremely stiff, it is really impressive. The toebox is super roomy, and length-wise they seem good. They are still a bit tight, but I think with a bit of heat molding, they should fit. The "bathtub sole" is much more rigid than a soft upper shoe.

44km tonight.
A little lightning, a little rain, a little wind...
It was not a boring ride. I was running my 700x38s on my sage and at one point I plowed a pot hole I never saw. Hands and shoulders took quite a jolt, but the bike handled it quite well.

Hayama -> Zushi -> Kamkura -> Enoshima -> Kamakura (pic) -> Zushi Highland -> Hayama

1662031805093.png

Looks like you've gone Ti. How does the ride compare to steel?

Vassago Fisticuff - Steel, Spare Parts build.
Sage Barlow - Ti, SRAM Rival 1 build.
Why R+ - Ti, Shimano GRX810 build (or whatever the mix of 800 level parts are).
All three are 1x. The Vassago has a 34T ring up front and the other two have a 42.

The Vassago is a tank! This is good and bad. It is heavy and slow. It will do most everything I am willing to do on a rigid MTB. It has MTB wheels with Gravel 45mm tires. I can wheelie that bike better than any bike I own and the fun level is off the charts for riding alone. It is literally just a fun bike! But a road bike it is NOT!!! It is fine for plugging along, but you would never bring this bike to a group ride.

The Sage is a road bike on roids. It will take up to a 40mm tire, but it is more at home on 30mm smaller. It is a smooth ride on 38s, but it does have some toe overlap. Off road, it is a little nervous, but I can ride around its weaknesses mostly. Still fun off road, but... just not confidence inspiring. On the road, I can roll with the group rides with a set of 28mm tires. The bike is way comfy, I ended up selling my Trek Emonda one I realized the Sage was pretty much replacing it on my road rides.

The Why R+ is a slightly dialed back gravel bike. It had room for up to 50mm tires - but I have only one ride on it with 40mm Maxxis tires on a new set of i9 wheels. So new tires, new wheels, & New frame, it will take a little while to figure it out, but initial observations - it is as capable as the Vassago, but lighter and faster. It is geared a bit higher - so somewhat expected. The frame is stiffer than the Vassago too, so better power transfer. The Why is more slack than the Sage. So off road, I was willing to be a tad more dumb. I cursed outloud a few times today out of legit fear as I did some MTB lines that that bike should not be able to handle, yet I was able to bull ride it through and not one crash. However several times the bike came out from under me and I was left standing there in the trail. :D

The 2 ti bikes have a difference response than the steel. I would not dare say better - just different.
Steel has a magic ride feel. I love it, and will never bash it for the weight penatly (negligible) or the flex difference.
The Ti is more responsive to input and really rewards effort, but you truly do not get the soft ride that comes with the steel frame.
Neither are bad... Neither are deal breakers...

I was back and forth between the Why and a Niner RLT Steel.
I went with the more boutique option vs the bigger brand. With the $750 off sale and $200 off for being stationed overseas - it ended up being a no brainer to take the Why option.

Another note...
I by far prefer the GRX feel to the Sram setup on the sage.

Another note...
I by far prefer the GRX feel to the Sram setup on the sage.
I like my Ritchey Outback, but the build has come out heavier than I expected ...almost 12kg. I could probably spend some $$ and knock off a kg or so but don't think I'll do that. Would like to get somewhere around 9-10kg but don't see that happening on a steel frame without going for maybe a 1x and GRX groupset. Maybe someday. Love the look of Ti and the lower weight is a big plus, but don't think it is in the cards. I can dream though.

FWIW, looks like riding those trails is a good way to loosen up your fillings. Good fun though.

I like my Ritchey Outback, but the build has come out heavier than I expected ...almost 12kg.
I'm always surprised when drop bar bikes are heavier than many hardtail mountain bikes — which come with a suspension fork and wider tires.
I broke my old chest mount... so this one is new and not adjusted properly -
But if you want an idea of what I consider a proper first ride for a bike...

The video seems upside down and isn't stabilized, which makes for a very unsettling viewing experience …

I'm always surprised when drop bar bikes are heavier than many hardtail mountain bikes — which come with a suspension fork and wider tires.

The video seems upside down and isn't stabilized, which makes for a very unsettling viewing experience …
It is upside down, but in the lower corner, there is a rotate button. I rotated and clicked save, but the gopro site doesn't seem to care. :(
The stabilazion is on, but the chest mount was bouncing. :( Also - look at the headlight position at the start and end of the clip... there were a lot of rocks and roots involved.

It is upside down, but in the lower corner, there is a rotate button. I rotated and clicked save, but the gopro site doesn't seem to care. :(
The stabilazion is on, but the chest mount was bouncing. :( Also - look at the headlight position at the start and end of the clip... there were a lot of rocks and roots involved.
Yeah, that descent must have been rough. Quite impressive to do this on drop bars and on a fully rigid bike!

Yeah, that descent must have been rough. Quite impressive to do this on drop bars and on a fully rigid bike!
I have this wierd obsession with self punishment at times.
Want to pedal hard and crush PRs - I am not the guy.
Want to do something stupid like a 3000m of climbing and some gravel bits, single track, etc... sounds good.
Want to do the same on a Single Speed? I will say no the first time. Wait a week and ask again, I will probably say yes.
I ran a marathon for no reason other than just because....

Back
Top Bottom