What's new

Today September 2022

@kiwisimon Yes. I have a more upright position. It's a tradeoff. More stretched out and hands and back start to feel it. I'm old. :( Saddle is just off horizontal with the front tilted slightly downward.

@Chuck
Do you have a carbon seat post?
I have one on my XC hard tail and the comfort is amazing. Unless I on really rough terrain, my bum is super comfortable.

@Chuck I have this pretty comfy saddle. lemme know if you're interested. I could put another one on Lynskey. mine is the touring model ST Core Evo Men Saddle, size S/M

Last edited:
@Chuck
Do you have a carbon seat post?
I have one on my XC hard tail and the comfort is amazing. Unless I on really rough terrain, my bum is super comfortable.
It might be a good way to go. OTOH, something about the Ritchey tubing, but on both my Outback and Road Logic, I've had to really use a lot of torque to keep the seatpost from slipping down. On the Outback I even used LocTite. So, a carbon seatpost is probably a non starter.

@luka Thanks for the offer. I was just looking at those saddles. I haven't had much luck with the touring saddles that have a wider style so that there is a significant curve as the tongue of the saddle widens out. I'm better with a narrower type with less of a curve. Was thinking about the SR Allroad Core Pro Men S/M. How did you like the Ergon you had? I hear they are pretty comfy.

it was a pretty good fit for me, even tho I used to like narrower saddles as well. plenty of give to it, as you can definitely feel it move and accommodate your pelvic movements and the road buzz etc. but I only recently installed it and haven't really done long distance rides on it...

On the Outback I even used LocTite.
wow, shouldn't need loctite on a seatclamp.

carbon paste works well as long as all the excess grease has been wiped off the tube and post.

is your bum soft bits tender from rubbing or the whole area just tired from sitting?

if you tilt the nose up a smidge it will relax the tension through your shoulders arms and hands.

I'm old too but some core muscle work can help a lot.

carbon paste works well as long as all the excess grease has been wiped off the tube and post.
Tried it. It didn't have the same effect on metal to metal surfaces as it had on carbon to metal. Loctite was my last hope. It worked...maybe a little too well. But at least my seatpost stays put.
is your bum soft bits tender from rubbing or the whole area just tired from sitting?
I get friction points forward of the sit bones after a while. Worse in summer with sweat.
I'm old too but some core muscle work can help a lot.
I hate core work...but I know, I know.... I guess I'm hoping I can just buy some kind of gadget that will make it so I don't have to do core work. Did I mention I hate core work?

I get friction points forward of the sit bones after a while. Worse in summer with sweat.
bum butter and try a variety of saddles. it's counter intuitive but a hard short nose saddle may be the ticket. Padded saddles sometimes create more friction.

I hate core work...but I know, I know.... I guess I'm hoping I can just buy some kind of gadget that will make it so I don't have to do core work. Did I mention I hate core work?
my standard core exercise is getting off the floor to go to the fridge for another cold drink..

bum butter and try a variety of saddles. it's counter intuitive but a hard short nose saddle may be the ticket. Padded saddles sometimes create more friction.
Yeah. I've tried many different saddles. Padded were the worst. I never ride without the chamois creme. Wouldn't be prudent.

my standard core exercise is getting off the floor to go to the fridge for another cold drink..
Works for me!

It might be a good way to go. OTOH, something about the Ritchey tubing, but on both my Outback and Road Logic, I've had to really use a lot of torque to keep the seatpost from slipping down. On the Outback I even used LocTite. So, a carbon seatpost is probably a non starter.
I think you are throwing out the baby with the bath water (just like with hydraulic disc brakes). I have had problems with slipping seat posts on my previous mountain bike: aluminum frame and aluminum seat post. The issue is always the same, the components aren't manufactured to the proper tolerances — that's the issue with Ritchey (tubing) it would seem. If you have to use LocTite on a frame to prevent seat post slippage, in my book that is grounds to return the frame under warranty. At worst you should need some carbon paste to prevent slippage.

On a rigid bike (= without active suspension) a carbon seat post will be the second-most important component in terms of suspension, ride quality and comfort, just after the tires. The reason is that the seat post can actually flex quite a bit, because it is is allowed to pivot around a point and you have substantial leverage on it.
Tried it. It didn't have the same effect on metal to metal surfaces as it had on carbon to metal. Loctite was my last hope. It worked...maybe a little too well. But at least my seatpost stays put.
Carbon paste does work on metal-to-metal interfaces. It was one component in keeping seat post creep in check with my previous mountain bike. But if you had to use LocTite to keep your seat post in place, the problem isn't that carbon paste doesn't work as well for metal-to-metal interfaces.
The older you get, the more important it is to take care of your core muscles.

I think you are throwing out the baby with the bath water (just like with hydraulic disc brakes).
I meant to say that a carbon seat post is a good idea (I'm aware of the added flex and compliance it gives), except in this case, the clamp requires too much torque to stop any slipping. IOW, not a good situation for a carbon post. I haven't "thrown it out" as an option on any other bike, just this one. Same with hydraulic brakes. Haven't "thrown it out" either. Maybe someday I'll change over to hydraulics but I just prefer mechanicals...or at least they work for me and my modest needs. To each their own.
I have had problems with slipping seat posts on my previous mountain bike: aluminum frame and aluminum seat post. The issue is always the same, the components aren't manufactured to the proper tolerances — that's the issue with Ritchey (tubing) it would seem.
I agree...this is probably caused by the seat tube being slightly too large. Not something that I was going to bother returning the frame for as long as I could stop the slipping.
Carbon paste does work on metal-to-metal interfaces. I was one component in keeping seat post creep in check with my previous mountain bike. But if you had to use LocTite to keep your seat post in place, the problem isn't that carbon paste doesn't work as well for metal-to-metal interfaces.
As I said, I tried carbon paste and it didn't do the trick. Glad it worked for you though. LocTite was my last option and, yeah, not a good solution, but a solution all the same. It worked.
The older you get, the more important it is to take care of your core muscles.
Agreed. I've actually started doing some weight training (which I'm starting to like) and include a bit of core work...(even though I hate it).

I am not endorsing this specific clamp, but I had an issue of slipping with one bike and used a two bolt clamp to quickly solve my issue.

Search Amazon for 'KCNC 653371'
I would post the link here, but it keeps thinking it is media and the link doesn't work.

Not something that I was going to bother returning the frame for as long as I could stop the slipping.
But in the end it is an issue with your frame, and IMHO it is not acceptable. Who knows what other parts of your frame are out of spec? I think you bought the frame itself, and it wasn't cheap. IMHO that's unacceptable for an expensive frame. But you do you. :)

Just to give you an idea: my LBS in Munich replaced the seat post free and seat clamp of charge, no discussion after 4 years. Mandatory warranty runs out after 2 — a seat post is way cheaper than warrantying a new frame. (The added complication would have been that this was the last gen of 26" bikes, so a compromise would have been reached.) The new seat post was better, but still not great.
As I said, I tried carbon paste and it didn't do the trick. Glad it worked for you though. LocTite was my last option and, yeah, not a good solution, but a solution all the same. It worked.
Well, it sort of worked: I would still have to push the quick release lever with so much force, it'd be painful and leave marks on my hands. I'd be very reluctant to change seat height (something extremely common in mountain biking, especially in times before dropper posts were common.) Thing is, I never lived in Munich for long enough again to make me consider a swap under warranty.
LocTite was my last option and, yeah, not a good solution, but a solution all the same. It worked.
I'd be very reluctant and worried to use LocTite for the seat post. Aren't you worried you will never be able to move and remove the seat post?

Last edited:
I am not endorsing this specific clamp, but I had an issue of slipping with one bike and used a two bolt clamp to quickly solve my issue.

Search Amazon for 'KCNC 653371'
I would post the link here, but it keeps thinking it is media and the link doesn't work.
Ritchey uses the type of clamp that is located at the top of the seat stays. I don't think a regular clamp that sits on the top of the seat tube would work....would it?

IMG_2612.jpeg

what make is that grooved seatpost? Thomson?
they are known to slip a lot as the exposed ridges get worn down fairly quickly.

I don't think a regular clamp that sits on the top of the seat tube would work....would it?
Why wouldn't it? As far as I can tell, you'd only need to install the smaller clamp. As long as the small clamp remains in place, your seat post couldn't slip any further. No? That solution certainly seems more sensible than LocTite. Plus, you'd always know how far you'd have to insert your seat post. 😁

Back
Top Bottom