What's new

Today September 2021

Depending on the weather, I figure I'll be doing the ride up north of Chichibu that I posted before.

I was finalizing the route on Strava that I had planned just a week ago, but now Strava won't allow me to use a part of my previous route. Instead, it keeps routing me on a southern section that involves a lot more climbing and possibly some hike-a-bike. So, I'm wondering if this is due to some info Strava has that indicates my previous route is no longer passable, or is it perhaps just a glitch. Usually, when Strava does this it is for a good reason, but never had a case where Strava won't allow a route that only a week ago was OK.

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 8.29.57.png

(The yellow line indicates the route I'd like to take but Strava no longer allows.)

I have had Strava constantly reroute my planned route.
I end up playing with how far I can go on my desired route before rerouting, then I found out from the other direction how far i can go...
Then I end up clicking the "manual mode" and do the connector so I get the route I want.
In my experience, there has been absolutely no reason for the disconnect.

I have had Strava constantly reroute my planned route.
I end up playing with how far I can go on my desired route before rerouting, then I found out from the other direction how far i can go...
Then I end up clicking the "manual mode" and do the connector so I get the route I want.
In my experience, there has been absolutely no reason for the disconnect.
Thanks Bloaker.

My plan is to take my desired route and see how far I get. If you never hear from me again, you can probably find me at the bottom of a crevasse somewhere along the yellow line. :sly:

some info Strava has that indicates my previous route is no longer passable, or is it perhaps just a glitch
I noticed the same problem on that section the other day.

Toyota Tōreta aggregates data from smart navigation systems and road closure info. No closures are shown for your planned rindō, although others are displayed. On the other hand, it doesn't show anyone driving there recently either.

1632878050682.png

It's possible that there's a temporary restriction in place for logging or roadworks or something.

Saitama Rindō dept traffic information has the following:

1632878846103.png

So... closed to large vehicles. Accompanying PDF map is a bit more worrying...

1632878950657.png

Lower section to the east closed to large vehicles. Middle section that you're concerned about closed to everyone. But, you know, bikes probably fine if you're careful. Good luck!

I've been riding in Shizuoka-ken (中部) lately, and I'm wondering if there are any "must-do" routes that anyone can share.
You can't say Sh-IZU-oka without mentioning Izu ;)

Sorry, no recommendations for the mainland part of Shizuoka - I only rode through along the coastal route from Aichi to Tokyo and it looked very interesting, especially where the mountains came close to the coast east of Okitsu but also around Omaezaki. I did not venture into the mountains though.

However, I've always been a big fan of the west coast of Izu, from Osezaki down to Kumomi onsen. Heda is nice and Eboshiyama in Kumomi has fantastic views of the coastline. Both sides of Suruga bay have great views of the opposite side, weather permitting. Much of the west coast of Izu also has great Fuji views.

Back
Top Bottom